MBP Can't stay on - not the battery or HD

Reaction score
My 15" MacBookPro, OSX 10.5.8, 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB recently had a new battery installed. Prior to the new battery, it would sometimes turn off with a little "click" noise (not to be confused with shutdown, like someone "pulled the plug").

The Apple Store came to the conclusion that it was not the logic board, but the HardDrive. They installed a new HD, rebooted the OS and gave it back to me in top shape. Or so it seemed.

This sporadic "turn off" has turned into a regular occurrence. It might turn off as I am writing this, and my browser is the only thing I am running. If I try to turn it back on, it often will make the "click" noise and turn off before it has finished making the "Mac" sound. This can go on for 5 or 6 tries before I finally make it to my desktop.

If I put the MBP to sleep over night or while I am at work, it has turned itself off by the time I get back, and the routine starts all over again.

Any tips, suggestions or ideas besides taking it back to Apple?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any tips, suggestions or ideas besides taking it back to Apple?

This is one of those things that you'll be pulling your hair out trying to resolve. Take it back to Apple. Since you already have a record of repair and replacement with them, let them figure out the next step. I suspect they'll probably say it's a bad power supply, which means a new logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try a PMU reset. And apple should give you a refund on the drive seeing how that is not the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.