Canon MP510 printer problem

Reaction score
For some unknown reason my mac stopped communicating with my printer. I've added the printer to the system but when I give the print command the procedure stalls. I've reloaded all the latest software for Mac from Canon but still no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this wireless that you're referring to or USB connected?

OP
R
Reaction score
It is USB connected. The printer works because I can make copies on it, my IMAC just doesn't recognize the printer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since it's connected via USB, there are several things you can try:

1. Completely remove the printer and try reinstalling it according to the Canon instructions. Make sure your USB cable and port are OK.

2. Make sure you have the latest Canon drivers installed for the version of OS X you're running.

OP
R
Reaction score
After two days of fooling around with software updates and downloads from Canon I decided to inspect the printer cable. I found that the cable had been pinched somehow in the drawer mechanism where the printer is located and was damaged. A trip to WalMart for a new cable solved the problem. Occam's razor comes to mind!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes it's the simple things that we overlook. That's why I suggested above that you make sure your cable and port were OK. Anyway, glad to hear you got it resolved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.