Face Time will not sign in

Reaction score
Operating from an iMac running OSX. tried to sign in to Face Time using Apple ID and password. After waiting a while the message comes up "check network connection". What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Are you able to connect the internet using your browser or another internet-dependent application? If so, have you tried using your Apple ID and password on another Apple service (like iTunes)?

OP
H
Reaction score
Hi Shikarnov, thanks for your reply. Yes I can use the iTunes service using my registered ID and password both on my iMac and iPod. Neither the iPod or iMac work on Face Time.
When I use the iMac and try to log in to Face Time after about half a minute I get the message "check network connection". The iPod is the newer of the two operating on OS5. The iMac is about 18 months old. It originally came with Snow Leopard and has been up graded to Lion and hence installing the Face Time facility. Any ideas

C

chas_m

What's the speed of your internet connection? Just being able to get online is not indicative that you have sufficient speed for video conferencing. Try posting a speedtest.net result here.

I ask because some people sign up for the cheapest "high speed" possible, which is generally perfectly fine for normal surfing but is often inadequate for video chatting.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hello Chas m, thank you for your reply. This is something I have been thinking about also. On Sunday I went into my service supplier (Plusnet) and checked on their speed indicator. Because a single speed check may not be truly indicative I looked at the speed history for my connection with the following results: download 0.4 MB/s and upload 47kB/s. As you say, using the internet for browsing, including video, is fine - quick and responsive, but the trouble may be the uploading side.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
By today's standards, that's a slow connection. Probably the reason why you can't carry on a chat on Face Time.

OP
H
Reaction score
Good morning chscag. Thanks for your post. Looks like I need to get in touch with my internet supplier and look at alternative broadband packages.

OP
H
Reaction score
Been in touch with internet service supplier and they state that there should be no problem using Face Time . They suggest that I check my router settings. I am using a BT Voyager 2091 which is now 3 years old (pre Face Time). Firmware is version 3.01. Not been able to find a way to upgrade this from my iMac. Could the router be the problem?

OP
H
Reaction score
Found the solution to my problem.
When looking under the DNS tab there were no codes entered.
Added the two codes needed and low and behold Face Time sign in was instant.
Thanks guys for your support.

C

chas_m

Thank you VERY MUCH for posting a follow-up, that gives us something else we can check for the next time we get a question like this! Interesting solution, wouldn't have thought of that!

OP
H
Reaction score
Evening chas_m.
After an afternoon searching the web for clues I stumbled on checking DNS.
Now up and running. Have had a couple of FT calls this evening with family members in far flung places.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.