Itunes and bass

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

Ive noticed that when i listen to my itunes or ipod connected to my car stereo there is a lack of bass. so i turned bass booster on and that doesnt work well since some songs like jack johnson become over powered with bass. and the ohter songs that i want bass with dont seem to come out right. has anyone found a solution or has a tip to get more bass output from the ipod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
What bitrate are the songs encoded at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The iPod's built-in eq isn't very good IMO...
You can often hear it distorting songs if you listen carefully with better earbuds or through stereo systems...

Or are you using your car stereo's eq? If not maybe give that a try - perhaps it can give you a better bass boost.

If that doesn't work for you, maybe consider getting an adapter that'll let you run the iPod's line-out signal (from the dock connector) into your stereo. That signal is usually a bit better overall and might improve your bass response a bit.
Lots of iPod car cradles have a built-in line output...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
In iTunes you can set the equalizer for certain songs. You could even do it for a whole genre. Just highllight the songs you want to adjust then command +I In the options tab you can pick the equalizer for those selected songs.

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

Aptmunich said:
The iPod's built-in eq isn't very good IMO...
You can often hear it distorting songs if you listen carefully with better earbuds or through stereo systems...

Or are you using your car stereo's eq? If not maybe give that a try - perhaps it can give you a better bass boost.

If that doesn't work for you, maybe consider getting an adapter that'll let you run the iPod's line-out signal (from the dock connector) into your stereo. That signal is usually a bit better overall and might improve your bass response a bit.
Lots of iPod car cradles have a built-in line output...

so using the dock connection for line out is better? currently i am running it into my bose stereo on my car and can adjust things but the ipod does distort stuff compared to my CDs and i turned off apples encoding so my songs bit rates are what ever the songs are recored ranging from 192kbs to 320kbs and a very few in the above 320kbps range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah the headphone jack has a little headphone amp in front of it, so the sound gets flavored there by the headphone amp. The dock signal is just the pure audio signal with no alterations, so you get a cleaner signal. The difference isn't huuuge though IMO, but you might notice it if your in-car setup is nice.

OP
S

Seamus

Volume setting.

Biturbo V12 AMG said:
Ive noticed that when i listen to my itunes or ipod connected to my car stereo there is a lack of bass. so i turned bass booster on and that doesnt work well since some songs like jack johnson become over powered with bass. and the ohter songs that i want bass with dont seem to come out right. has anyone found a solution or has a tip to get more bass output from the ipod?

When I use my Ipod in the car (via tape adaptor) I've found that turning the iPod volume down to about 60% then turning up the car stereo volume helps a lot. Some cars I have to turn it down to around 40% or 50%.
Give it a try and see if it helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.