external mac drive

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

quick question,

after my MBP crash, i got a macbook 13". What the shop did was taking the hard drive from MBP into macbook, which work fine, now i have a spare hard drive (macbook 13") i got an enclosure so i could use it as an external drive, but when i connect to mac, the drive power up but doesn't show at all, also try on a PC and same thing, doesn't show. Any reason or could it be the enclosure fault ?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Does it show in disk utility?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Doubt it would be the enclosure causing the problem, unless maybe the data cable in the enclosure itself isn't fully connected...

Do you have one of those IDE/SATA-to-USB adapter kits?? That's a way you can check for sure...basically, you use the kit to connect the bare drive to the USB port directly without an enclosure. You can get those things at places like MicroCenter for like nine bucks. Very worthwhile investment, especially if you're a computer tech.

OP
P
Reaction score
doesn't show under utility

i don't have one of those adapter kits.

I have a WD external drive, which work fine, its not mac formatted as always been use on PC, but work no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Perhaps it needs power? Some enclosures have a dc input at the back. COuldn't see if yours did. Alternatively there are those usb cords that take up two ports, supplying power.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks,

but like i said i the beginning, it as power, led is on, disc is spinning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.