macbook pro wont read dvds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
................................ OLD: MBP 13" Mid 09 .......... NEW: MBP 13" Mid 12 ..........
my macbook pro (mid 09, 13") wont read dvds but will read the lens cleaning disc.
when i put in a dvd it make some weird sounds then ejects the disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
First, try cleaning the SuperDrive with a cleaning disc. Run it SEVERAL TIMES -- like a dozen or so. Seriously.

My recommendation, though, is to just use an external tray-based drive; slot-based drives like the SuperDrive are notorious for having gunk build up on the outside and getting pushed inside. The SuperDrive in my MacBook went out after a couple of years. (I've since replaced it with one of those hard drive kits, so I now have two hard drives in my MacBook!)

On the Apple discussion forums, there's at least one thread that goes on for literally well over 100 pages of people with SuperDrive problems, at least half of which were not fixable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.