Macbook Pro Freezing

Reaction score
My late 2008 Macbook Pro running 10.6.8 OSX has been freezing daily for the last week or so. I've tried everything under the sun. Reset PRAM, SMC, etc. Tried different user accounts, different browsers, different peripherals, reinstalled osx, verifyed disk, repaired disk, with batter, without battery, with or without charger connected, looked at Activity Monitor, everything. I've ran memtest, but for some reason I can't get apple hardware test to boot from my original cd or my usb flash drive. No test I've ran has shown anything negative. When it freezes, it's a hard freezes, nothing moves. If music is playing, it just stutters the audio repeatedly until I have to power it off to start it back up. It does it about 5 times during the day after about a hour of use, and sometimes when I cut it back on immediately after a freeze, it freezes as soon as I log-in to my user account. I've tried to read the logs but I really don't know what I'm looking for or how to properly read it. Any help, leads, recommendations, similar cases, or advice anybody can offer would be greatly appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See if this Apple KB article applies to your MacBook Pro. LINK

It sounds to me like your video card is causing the freezing. You've nothing to lose by contacting Apple even if the machine is long out of warranty.

OP
M
Reaction score
See if this Apple KB article applies to your MacBook Pro. LINK

It sounds to me like your video card is causing the freezing. You've nothing to lose by contacting Apple even if the machine is long out of warranty.

Thanks for your response, very appreciated. Sadly, from the symptoms listed in the link, I really haven't experienced any thing under "What to look for." I do plan to go to the apple store when it's possible, I'm bed sick right now (well recovering from 2nd degree burns...long story..anyways) and won't be able to go right away so I'm hopeful I can get some help through you guys forum. Any further tips or help or anything would be appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.