Obvious Battery issue, but strange happenings..need advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 10.9.8
About a 2 weeks or so ago, for the first time, my macbook pro, late '10 model 10.6.8 would not take a charge after being powered off all night. It was giving me the dreaded black x in the batt symbol and only staying on while plugged in, immediately turning off once the charger was removed. After reading numerous forums, I realized that my batt was probably needing to be replaced. Yes, I do use the computer constantly, so I assumed that was all. I resigned myself to replacing the batt, but just a few hours later, out of nowhere, it started charging again. Ran fine for another several days to week, then BAM, it did it again. After another hour or so, it took a charge again and at that time I re-calibrated the battery and did disc repairs, was very cautious about it not getting too low before charging. Then again last night, it had 60% charge, I plugged it in because I wasn't using it and came back a few minutes later to see that the charger was green...because it wasn't taking a charge. This time it lasted 24 hours, the computer would not charge or work unless plugged in. Just now, out of nowhere, it was plugged in, tried to turn on, started to make the noise for startup, screen lit up, stopped..then black screen. I hit power button, held it down again and heard a small click...then the orange light came on, it powered up, and it is still at 60% (same as last night when it stopped charging) and is now charging normally, acting normal etc...here's my question, why does it keep doing this?? Is there something else wrong with my computer? Do I keep getting 9 lives on this battery because the computer is having software issues or what?? HELP..this instability is making my hair fall out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,
All manner of things can cause this.

You could have a faulty battery, charge circuit or charger. It's possible that the battery's protection circuit has cut in because of over-charging.

High charge levels and elevated temperature can have a damaging effect also.

When indicating green your battery will still take a saturation charge and high voltage levels associated with frequent full charges can stress the battery.

I would advise not to try to charge the battery with the cross of death showing across the icon.

Welcome to the forum BTW..err your post may yet get moved by one of the mods.
Cheers,
Liam

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.