iMac Shutdown Issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2 32 GB WiFi, iPhone 16 GB, iMac
So I got an iMac late August, and for the past few months it's been randomly shutting down. Sometimes it'll do it while I'm using it, other times I'll come back to it after a period of time and find that lovely error message I'm coming to recognize far too well.

I Googled this and the only thing I found was someone who said they had this issue and had to get a new Mac. I took it into the Genius Bar a few weeks ago, and they had it for a few days...diagnosed it as a power supply problem. Within a day of having it back, it did it again. And again. Sometimes it's daily, sometimes a few times a week, sometimes not for a few weeks. It's very odd.

I'm also not super thrilled at the service I've been having at the Apple store and through Apple Care, so before I drive another hour one way to have them look at it again, I'd like to see if any of you have heard of this issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Generally random shutdowns are either corrupted SMC (resetting it's as easy as powering off and pulling the power from the back of the iMac, leaving it out for a minute and plugging it back in). Or hardware issues. In either case, try the first one, if that doesn't resolve it reopen your case with Apple. Call them on the phone, build a case record, and go from there. Also, do you have a UPS, any possibility of momentary brownouts?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2 32 GB WiFi, iPhone 16 GB, iMac
I don't, but some of my programs will freeze...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.