Boot Camp questions/concerns

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I was thinking about running Windows 8 dev preview in boot camp because my virtual machine is too slow and had some questions. Firstly when i clicked on the installer it said that I should back up my HDD. I don't have/ can't afford an external HDD at this point so I was wondering if that is necessary or if it's not much of a risk to leave it as is (I do have about 117 gb of stuff though). Also how large should I partition the HDD? I currently have about 200gb of room left but will be using mac osx for most work and reserving Windows for programming small application/applets and for running some games (NFS World) and possibly some emulators. Also is there a way to use bootcamp to run a triboot? I was thinking of doing OS X Snow, Win8, and Linux Mint12 (or some other linux OS). I heard this could be done but wasn't sure, thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How to triple boot using rEFIt = LINK

Before attempting any kind of partitioning or the use of a boot manager (rEFIt) you need to make a backup. If you can't afford an external hard drive right now, wait until you get one. It's too easy to mess up and if you don't have a backup, you could lose everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.