please help, word is all of a sudden not working!!!!

Reaction score
ok so im not well versed when it comes to technology and computers and stuff like that so please forgive me if this question seems stupid or an easy fix

i have a mac book pro and i have microsoft office on it (word, powerpoint, excel ect..

all of a sudden microsoft word is not working (only word by the way, powerpoint works and so does excell)
i tried the whole software update thing and it still wont work

im a college student and i have very important documents that i need to print out soon

everytime i try to open word it says "check with the developer to make sure microsoft word works with this version of mac os x. you may need to reinstall the application. be sure to install any available updates for the application and mac os x"

im afraid if i "reinstall" word that all my documents will be erased! please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
im afraid if i "reinstall" word that all my documents will be erased! please help!
Don't worry, there's no chance of that happening. Your documents are completely separate files; Word only opens/edits/re-saves them, they're not part of the app like the progress save files on a game.

If you're worried, just make back-up copies of your documents on a USB stick or external hard drive; then go ahead & reinstall.

I'll just check one other thing; have you recently upgraded from OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to 10.7 Lion? If so that may have been what messed it up; but Office:mac 2011 should work with Lion, so reinstalling Office should get it working again either way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thread moved here to the correct forum.

Which version of MS Office are you running? If it's only Word that is not working right, it may be corrupt or its data base might be in error. The only way to cure that is to completely remove Office and reinstall. You can not just reinstall Word without reinstalling PP and Excel. As the other reply stated, your documents will not be effected. But back them up anyway before reinstall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The only way to cure that is to completely remove Office and reinstall.

By the way, that means use the Remove Office application (uninstaller). Don't just drag the MS folder to the Trash. And no, your files will not be affected. (Just thought a third reassurance would ease your mind ;) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Didn't know that Harry, but OP did not say which version...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Office 2008 comes with an uninstaller, however, it's not very effective as it leaves a lot behind. Office 2011 does not include an uninstaller. Microsoft now has uninstall step by step instructions for both Office 2008 and 2011. It's recommend that they be used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.