Spotlight has gone out

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me how to use spotlight in Lion?
It used to be that I could type in any word in the spotlight, and it would find everything single thing on my computer that had to do with that word. Now all I get is "Search Web" and "Search Wikipedia".
SOOOO Frustrating!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Will search around. Have 3 systems here with Lion and do not have that issue.

I was going to say since the Spotlight went out, change the Bulb, but did not know how that would go over! :D Grin

Sorry, will see what I can find. Did you do an Upgrade install or Clean install of Lion?

OP
N
Reaction score
Clean install. Brand new machine. I have never been able to search for 1 thing.
Same problem in Apple Mail. Used to be able to type in any word or name, and it would light up all messages that were pertinent.
I don't even want to start my rant over all the other things that Snow Leopard was better for....ARRGGGHHHH!
Thanks in advance for any help:'(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here are two great replacements for Spotlight: (both free)

EasyFind

Find Any File

Both applications are easier to use than Spotlight and are more thorough.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Go to System Preferences > Spotlight and ensure that it is set to search files and directories. Also, check to ensure that your HD isn't listed in the Privacy tab.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.