Reinstalling OX Snow Leopard Fails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody (2010) 10.6.3 | Iphone 4s 32GB | Ipad 1
MacBook Pro 17(2010)

Installed a new hard drive. Launched Installation from restore disk. Entered Disk Utility and reformatted and portioned drive. Now continued with the Install. After about 10 minutes. I get an error.

"Install Failed"
Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer

Click restart to try again.

Did this several times. Even with another HD.

Help Please!

OP
Bengal313
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using the disks that came with my MacBook Pro. I formatted the new HD to extended Journaled. I even did a disk check and repair. Everything passed. It just wont complete the install. Am I missing something? Is there something else I can try?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The fact that reformatting worked seems to indicate all the hardware and connections are working, and probably not jumper settings or something like that (though may be worth checking anyway). Have seen some recent posts where similar problems resulted from cable failure, but in that case Disk Utility wouldn't see the drive.

You mentioned partitioning, this is probably a basic question but feeling for possible solution here, did you choose GUID as the partition? That is (as you probably know) what is required for Intel Macs as opposed to APM for PowerPC Macs.

EDIT: You said the disks came with your MacBook Pro. I am assuming from that and the age that you bought it new, rather than used. If used, there is always the potential the seller didn't give you the right OS disks for your Mac (happens a lot with used Macs).

OP
Bengal313
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah!!!!!

Got it working.

Funny thing. Did the disk check everything passed. No errors. But for kicks I clicked on disk repair. It did some work and then I tried reinstalling. Worked like a charm.

Thanx for the input.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Great!
Glad it is working . . . strange how that worked out, but it did and that is the biggie. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.