Huge iphone 4s restore problem!!!plz help!!

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I bought an iphone 4s for christmas, and everything was working fine, upgraded to ios 5.0.1; but I got greedy and was still looking for something more. So since recently the untethered jailbreak for 5.0.1 came out, I decided to give that a try, customized some stuff, and downloaded a bunch of new apps. Even though Cydia is open source i still wansn't happy with it and decided that i wanted to go back to the regular IOS 5.0.1. I backed up to icloud before i did the jailbreak, and so then I went into settings>general>reset> reset everything It took all night and still nothing happened so i decided to restart it myself, and restore it while it was connected to iTunes. I have put it into DFU mode and tried restoring it with apples software and i constantly get error 21 or 1600. i have tried to download the ispw manually and select it before I restored it using that firmware.... As of right now i'm hopeless and in desperate need of help. It also doesn't help that i'm phoneless at the moment! any help or suggestions would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!:Grimmace:

Items:

Macbook Pro Lion, newest itunes software
iPhone 4S
tried using different cables and restarted itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
This happened to me. Once I get to my laptop I'll reply with how I fixed it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
ok, so it sounds like you went further than I did.

I jail broke my iPhone 4s (5.0.1) and then wanted to go back, and accidentally didn't' do my research and did a "restore clear all settings" or whatever it is.. my phone just sat on a black screen with the circle status symbol for hours.

I was able to restart the phone (holding power and home button) and it restarted back to the regular home screen. Are you able to do that at all or no?

OP
P
Reaction score
Yeah I'm at the exact same thing it restarts and goes to a black screen with the circular symbol! And that's all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
I've done similar thing with my iphone 4. Now trying to restore the stock firmware after eventaully managing to get the phone into DFU mode, but keep getting the Error 1600 in iTunes. When I get home I'm going to try the normal recovery mode (USB -> iTunes screen). I'm also downloading another copy of the firmware just incase the one I have is corrupted (unlikely but...).

I've also tried to use Redsnow to boot and also tried to re-Jailbreak it - neither worked.

I think I need a full restore to wipe the mess. Any suggestions welcomed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5", iPhone 4
Problem solved. Try doing what I did. I have done this before when having slightly different errors when trying to restore. Remove the "gs.apple" line from the "hosts" file located in /private/etc/ (\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ if you're on windows I think). Anyone using OS X Lion might find that this file is locked for editing. I edited this using a sudo command in terminal there's a good youtube vid that shows you how to do this here: Edit Locked Host File On Mac OSX Lion - YouTube

OP
P
Reaction score
I figured out my problem this way.

After countless attempt to restore it on my MacBook, and it did not work even downloading the ipsw separately. I took out my Windows computer updated iTunes and downloaded iOS 5.0.1 and what do you know worked perfectly expect then i had to go back on my Mac and add all the music and movies, etc... no problems since :$

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.