Trying to reinstall Lion or Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I have a late 2010 iMac 21.5. I'm about to sell it so I wanted to reinstall Snow Leopard and restore the drive to it's original out of the box state. I've made a mess of things and now I cannot re-install Snow Leopard or even Lion. I'm left with 2 .dmg images that I cannot eject or close. :Grimmace: I've tried erasing the drive and also setting up a new partition. No matter what the files have me locked up and the Mac just keeps repeating the pattern. How can I resolve this? Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Why do you have .DMG of Snow Leopard? Lion I can understand..but you should have the original disc that came with your iMac that you can use to restore to it's original OS..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Simple question ... do you have the original installation DVD's that came with the machine ?
If not, I suggest you go an buy a retail copy op Snow Leopard and install from there.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
S
Reaction score
Simple question ... do you have the original installation DVD's that came with the machine ?
If not, I suggest you go an buy a retail copy op Snow Leopard and install from there.

Cheers ... McBie

I do have the original DVDs but still can't get it to work. At least if it's trying to it seems to hang up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Okay boot from the SL DVD and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported. If all is well and good, go to Utilities > Disk Utility and erase the disk, formatting Mac OS Extended (Journalled), into Partition, and under Option ensure the partition map is set to GUID. Then sell the computer with a clean hard drive and the discs and let the new owner do a clean install.

OP
S
Reaction score
I cannot boot from the SL DVD, the installation hangs at the screen that displays the Apple logo.

Here's what my start up screen looks like once I get to disk utility;
500.11 gv wdc
mac os x install dvd
Super Drive
mac os x install DVD

disk2
Mac OS x install ESD
disk 3
mac os x base system
( what a mess!!)

I cannot unmount nor can I erase when I'm able to get to the disk utility function

Error rreads disk erase failed cannot unmount disk

OP
S
Reaction score
DUH, DUH and DUH!!! After trying every suggestion, I thought am I using the right DVD? NO I wasn't, I hunted down the correct DVD and SL has been restored, the iMac now ready for sale. Thanks for your input!

Go Pats!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't worry Steve that is a common problem with more than one lot of discs on hand. Was to be the next question did the disc come with this machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.