Lost websites

Reaction score
I have "lost" a number of websites created in iWeb. I mistakenly clicked the wrong button in multisite for iWeb ( I think it said export sites ?) and they all disappeared from the left column. The sites are still live online, but I can't now edit them because I don't have access to the original files. I have an icon in the documents folder called Multisite for iWeb data.mfi but I cannot access this ( it is only around 86kb so it won't have any files inside. I also have a previous version of the websites on a memory stick but iWeb will not allow me to reload.
Please help...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It's unlikely the files have been deleted. They may have been moved when you pressed export and now are difficult to locate. Try using Spotlight (magnifying glass in menu bar) to see if you can find the files. I'm assuming you haven't been making backups? Always a good idea to have backups on hand.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for that... presumably when I find the folders they will be html files.
Do I then have to rebuild the sites in iWeb by dragging and dropping the elements on the page ?

OP
B
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

It's unlikely the files have been deleted. They may have been moved when you pressed export and now are difficult to locate. Try using Spotlight (magnifying glass in menu bar) to see if you can find the files. I'm assuming you haven't been making backups? Always a good idea to have backups on hand.

Thanks for that... presumably when I find the folders they will be html files.
Do I then have to rebuild the sites in iWeb by dragging and dropping the elements on the page ?

OP
B
Reaction score
Lost sites

I have a previous back up on a memory stick, however when I copied it to the desktop and launched iWeb it didn't give me the option to open with the Domain file on the desktop. How do I reload the sites in iWeb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm guessing you're on Lion.

I have multiple domain files and since the Lion upgrade (and, I suspect, as a result of Apple turning it's back on iWeb) it won't open anything but the default domain file.

There is a workaround. Have a look here. That should enable you to open your backup domain from your desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.