Would greatly appreciate help

Reaction score
Hello. First post. Basically I've bought a Powerbook G4 from ebay, but it appears to be faulty.

When i power up the machine i get the initial chime and the apple logo appears. Once this has finished instead of getting my desktop it just freezes as a blue screen. In a total of around 25 start ups i have got to the desktop once, only to have it freeze when i clicked on the hard drive.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you in advance.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello. First post. Basically I've bought a Powerbook G4 from ebay, but it appears to be faulty.

When i power up the machine i get the initial chime and the apple logo appears. Once this has finished instead of getting my desktop it just freezes as a blue screen. In a total of around 25 start ups i have got to the desktop once, only to have it freeze when i clicked on the hard drive.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thank you in advance.

I am not anywhere near an expert on older Macs, but the best advice I can offer is send it back if you can and get a refund.

Better off getting a used Intel Mac laptop ($350 to $450) than sinking money and time into a G4 PoweBook IMO.

OP
P
Reaction score
I only bought this machine to try out the iOS and then go onto buying something a lot more recent. Just wanted to ease the transition from windows. Definitely thinking a refund is in order unless someone can shed some light on the situation.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I only bought this machine to try out the iOS and then go onto buying something a lot more recent. Just wanted to ease the transition from windows. Definitely thinking a refund is in order unless someone can shed some light on the situation.

The latest OS that could run with that machine is OS X 10.5.8 which is two version behind current. If you have a local Apple Store you can get a good look at the latest and greatest.
Also, Apple Refurbs from their online store are generally same as new condition with new warranty. The last I looked you had a 14 day no questions asked return on new or refurb purchases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.