USB rear ports not working fine: any advice? (iMac Intel 20)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, and thanks in advance.

This is what's happening with my iMac: the rear ports aren't readig any storage devices (pen-drives, Hard Disks, SD cards) or printers, but are working fine with my Apple keyboard and a Genius mouse.

This is what i've done so far:

-Re-installed OS X 10.6 and updated it, but nothing happened, still can't read usb storage devices
-Tried using a powered hub, but nothing happened.
-Reseted my SMC and PRAM, the problem remains.
-Performed the tests included in the Apple Service Diagnostic DVD, and everything seemed to be fine.
-Tried using Disk Utility but that didn't help.

As a photographer, my work is suffering due to the lack of connection between my Mac and my devices, son any help is welcome!

Thanks a lot,
Agustín from Argentina (that's why my english isn't that good)

EDIT: My problems began when i installed and run MacKeeper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Your English is perfectly fine. Better than many who only speak it.

Edit: Just to be absolutely clear… the keyboard will work using the exact same port that your other devices will not work in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The keyboard and mouse work fine in every port available, the other stuff doesn't work in any of them.

Ok. Plug in one of your hard drives or pen drives. Be sure it is seated securely. Next run Disk Utility. Does the drive show up in its list on the left?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it doesn't. :(
But thanks anyway, any hel is welcome.

That is just odd. You've already done everything I can even think of trying to solve this. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

OP
A
Reaction score
That is just odd. You've already done everything I can even think of trying to solve this. Hopefully someone else will have some ideas.

Does anybody thik the problem might be in the IOUSBFamily.kext and
IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext files? I'm not familiar with those files, but i've been doing some researh, and in some way it points there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anybody thik the problem might be in the IOUSBFamily.kext and
IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext files? I'm not familiar with those files, but i've been doing some researh, and in some way it points there.

Well if those files did go missing, then yes, that could cause a problem like this. The problem though is that you have already reinstalled OS X, which seemingly would be the fix.

If you reinstalled 10.6 over the existing installation, then what you should consider is using Disk Utility to split your hard drive in half, then install 10.6 fresh to the new partition. Go ahead and use the Migration Assistant to migrate your users and apps off the other partition. If this new installation works properly, then we can look at getting rid of the faulty installation.

OP
A
Reaction score
If you reinstalled 10.6 over the existing installation, then what you should consider is using Disk Utility to split your hard drive in half, then install 10.6 fresh to the new partition. Go ahead and use the Migration Assistant to migrate your users and apps off the other partition. If this new installation works properly, then we can look at getting rid of the faulty installation.

Well i'm not sure on how to do that, but i'm gonna give it a try as soon as i find how to do it, thanx a lot man!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i'm not sure on how to do that, but i'm gonna give it a try as soon as i find how to do it, thanx a lot man!

Well here's one tutorial:
How to partition a startup drive | Macworld

Once done, boot off your install disc and install OS X to the new partition.

If the new installation does work, you can try copying those 2 files off of there to the old one to see if that fixes the problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The keyboard and mouse work fine in every port available, the other stuff doesn't work in any of them.

I'm going to say that if a USB keyboard and a USB mouse work in these USB ports...it's not the ports that are the problem...it's something else.

Can you make a list of what "other stuff" doesn't work in these ports?...this may help identify what's up.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Can you make a list of what "other stuff" doesn't work in these ports?...this may help identify what's up.
- Nick

Sure, here's the list of things i plugged but aren´t working:

-2 GB Kingston pen drive.
-1 GB generic pen drive.
-HP Printer.
-Nikon D3000 Camera.
-Generic card reader (this one is the only device that works fine if connected via keyboard).
-Iomega external powered hard drive.

Thanx in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure, here's the list of things i plugged but aren´t working:

-2 GB Kingston pen drive.
-1 GB generic pen drive.
-HP Printer.
-Nikon D3000 Camera.
-Generic card reader (this one is the only device that works fine if connected via keyboard).
-Iomega external powered hard drive.

WOW...that's quite a list!;) So just to be 100% clear...if you plug a USB keyboard or a USB mouse into this very same USB port...they both work fine?

Thanks,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes i've tried that, thanks for your interes!

Here's are two USB troubleshooting guides:

How to Troubleshoot Mac USB Issues | eHow.com
Tutorial: Common fixes for USB device issues (unrecognized, etc.) | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

...I'm guessing you tried most of these options. Two things that I think have not been tried are:

- Reinstalling the OS (in case specific OS files are missing or have gotten corrupted)
- Running the free maintenance program called "Onyx"...which can clear caches...which may contain "bad" info

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. One thing I almost always suggest is...try repairing permissions (within Disk Utility).

OP
A
Reaction score
Here's are two USB troubleshooting guides:

How to Troubleshoot Mac USB Issues | eHow.com
Tutorial: Common fixes for USB device issues (unrecognized, etc.) | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

- Reinstalling the OS (in case specific OS files are missing or have gotten corrupted)
- Running the free maintenance program called "Onyx"...which can clear caches...which may contain "bad" info

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. One thing I almost always suggest is...try repairing permissions (within Disk Utility).

Man, the second link looks very interesting, i' gonna try some of those suggestions, and let you know what happens. And the repairing permissions... i don't kwnow what that is!!

Again, thanks a lot!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man, the second link looks very interesting, i' gonna try some of those suggestions, and let you know what happens. And the repairing permissions... i don't kwnow what that is!!

Again, thanks a lot!

Hopefully one of the troubleshooting ideas from the links will work.:)

Repairing permissions:

- Open "Disk Utility"
- Click on the button that says "Repair Permissions"

...then let it do its work (it may take a few minutes to complete).:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.