Switching to Mac

Reaction score
I want to switch to a Mac
Im having trouble deciding on imac , mac mini, and mac pro.
My budget is under 1000 and Im looking for something used.
I just want something that will perform better than my HP pavilion dv4.

Product Name dv4-2169nr
Product Number WA695UA#ABA
Microprocessor 2.26GHz Intel Core i3-350M processor
Microprocessor Cache 3MB L2 Cache
Memory 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
Memory Max 8192MB
Video Graphics Intel HD Graphics
Video Memory Up to 1696MB
Hard Drive 250GB (7200RPM)

OP
N
Reaction score
I want to switch to a Mac
Im having trouble deciding on imac , mac mini, and mac pro.
My budget is under 1000 and Im looking for something used.
I just want something that will perform better than my HP pavilion dv4.

Product Name dv4-2169nr
Product Number WA695UA#ABA
Microprocessor 2.26GHz Intel Core i3-350M processor
Microprocessor Cache 3MB L2 Cache
Memory 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM)
Memory Max 8192MB
Video Graphics Intel HD Graphics
Video Memory Up to 1696MB
Hard Drive 250GB (7200RPM)

C

chas_m

The system you have described is a very powerful little machine and should meet your needs (depending on what they are of course).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Merged threads.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It'd be more helpful to know exactly what your needs are. "Something that performs better" is a bit vague. That said, the single biggest problem with your HP machine is the Intel Graphics. Since your budget is under $1000, you can forget a new Mac Pro, or even a new iMac. The last-gen iMac would probably be very satisfactory. I have a mid-2010 iMac i3 with the upgraded graphics card and it's great. It won't play the more graphic-intensive games with all the bells and whistles turned on, but I never expected it to. If you shop around on eBay, you can find a used or refurbed model that will meet your budget. These should perform better than what you have now, but then not having actually used your HP myself or knowing why you find it deficient, I can't swear to it.

OP
N
Reaction score
I want a desktop and something more reliable and durable. My HP has had many issues and hardware and viruses . I want to use it for college work and music and maybe a few movies but nothing to extreme. I know I cant afford anything new but I have seen some used mac pro towers in my range.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I want a desktop and something more reliable and durable. My HP has had many issues and hardware and viruses . I want to use it for college work and music and maybe a few movies but nothing to extreme. I know I cant afford anything new but I have seen some used mac pro towers in my range.

If you NEED the increased flexibility of the Mac Pro, then it should be considered. Otherwise, the iMac is a much better value for the money, and the more recent models are not slouches in the performance department.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
If you NEED the increased flexibility of the Mac Pro, then it should be considered. Otherwise, the iMac is a much better value for the money, and the more recent models are not slouches in the performance department.

Yep, and are probably pretty close $1100 at the NEX.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.