Cricket Noise, and both Fans out??

Reaction score
I had my Macbook pro of 3 years repaired in January for a speaker that was acting up and making a weird noise.

Now all of a sudden, I open my macbook one day, and theres a faint cricket sound coming from around the area of the left speaker (can't tell if the noise is coming out of it or not, but volume doesn't affect it). It's closest to the sound you hear in summer when you're inside but can hear crickets outside. It's faint, a little annoying, but not a big problem.

At the same time, I've also noticed my fans don't seem to be working. I have SMC Fan control, and no matter what level I put it to, the fans don't turn on. This means I can't watch movies without worrying of it overheating.

I also downloaded iStat Pro, and both it and SMC fan control both say left fan 000rpm, but nothing about the right fan. I'm a student, and the closest apple store is 90 minutes away, and can't afford to send my computer off for a week to get repaired. Has anyone had this happen, and any troubleshooting ideas?

can't figure out if the two are related, other than the fact that the noise and fans seemed to happen at the same time.

I do have SMARTReport for the hard drive to tell me if anything's failing, and so far, it's still green like always.

THANK YOU!!

Reaction score
What are the specs of your 2008 mbp? have you tried doing a smc reset, fan and lights problems can be fixed doing this sometimes, typically a last resort.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.