Dual Booting

C

cr0s3

I haven't tried it on a Mac yet but I have dual booted on a PC before. Is it pretty much the same thing?

Just make a partition and install the other OS (Linux) on the partion(s)?

Thanks for you help,
Cody

P.S. I hope this is in the right section.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Yes,

But now windows,,,:0(

OP
C

cr0s3

If I understand what you said correctly your saying I can dual boot but I can't dual boot with windows?

Because I dont plan on doing that anyway so thats no prob. I just don't know Mac or Linux and would like to learn about both by forcing myself to.

Thanks for your response.

OP
J

joelphil

dual-booting on a Mac

Yes, you can dual boot or multi-boot on a Mac. I use to run LinuxPPC way back when and it allowed you to pick the OS similar to holding the option key down while booting the current OS X.

make sure you put OS X on the first partition or drive. if you plan on installing Linux for your mac, do yourself a favor and buy a new drive. it will be easier to install and configure, trust me.

hope this helps,

cr0s3 said:
If I understand what you said correctly your saying I can dual boot but I can't dual boot with windows?

Because I dont plan on doing that anyway so thats no prob. I just don't know Mac or Linux and would like to learn about both by forcing myself to.

Thanks for your response.

OP
C

cr0s3

That helps a lot, thanks.

But I plan on getting a laptop so getting another hdd wont really be an option...but its cool ill make sure to put linux on the machine right away so if i screw it up I wont lose much.

Thanks for your help again,
Cody

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.