Restore specific files from time machine backup

Reaction score
So I was beginning to have problems with my mac and decided to do a fresh install. I did a final backup, wiped the hard drive and installed Lion. Now I want to restore specific files from Time Machine, but I don't see options like that. There was Users, applications, settings and "Other files". I chose other files thinking that would let me choose, but it just went straight to transferring. I have no idea what it's transferring. Is there a way to choose specific files?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you open Time Machine and select a date to restore from, you should see a Finder like view of that particular backup. Navigate through the backup the same way as you would through the Finder and choose the folder or files you wish to restore.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
Yes but that's when you're browsing through your own backup. After the fresh install it doesn't see it as my back up, so I can't do it the normal way.

C

chas_m

You did the restore incorrectly. What you should have done is wiped the hard drive, booted from the Lion Recovery partition, and then done a full restore from your Time Machine backup (one of the options of the Lion Recovery Partition).

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
I didn't want to do a full restore. I just wanted to restore specific files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Open Time Machine with your external backup disk connected.
Inside Time Machine, browse to the day from which you want to restore data
( Right hand side )
Inside the finder in Time Machine, browse to the file/folder you want to restore and click Restore

Job Done.

PS. Once in Time Machine, it can take a few minutes before the history ( days on the right hand side ) are loaded, so be patient.

If after a re-install your Time Machine is empty, do a right click on the Time Machine icon on the dock and select "Browse Other Time Machine Disks ".

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's what I suggested in my reply above but he states it isn't working because he installed fresh and now it doesn't "see" his backup.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
In the end here's what I did:
1. Since it was a time capsule it only shows as a mounted drive when time machine was using it, so I would have to activate time machine so the drive would mount.
2. At this point I could see all the folders in time machine, but when I tried to copy files out of the folder it would say I didn't have permission to view them.
3. To get around this I had to use the console to launch finder as the administrator
4. This would let me copy the files from Time Machine to my local disk.
5. When copied this way the permissions were messed up, so I would have to modify the permissions on any file I retrieved using get info.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
As stated above, since I did a fresh install it didn't see the previous back ups as being for my machine, so I couldn't use the regular time machine interface to retrieve them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Open Time Machine with your external backup disk connected.
Inside Time Machine, browse to the day from which you want to restore data
( Right hand side )
Inside the finder in Time Machine, browse to the file/folder you want to restore and click Restore

Job Done.

PS. Once in Time Machine, it can take a few minutes before the history ( days on the right hand side ) are loaded, so be patient.

If after a re-install your Time Machine is empty, do a right click on the Time Machine icon on the dock and select "Browse Other Time Machine Disks ".

Cheers ... McBie

This saved me HOURS of frustration! Somehow when I moved all my iTunes media from my MBP to an off-computer location, a good number of albums got misplaced or deleted or something. After reading this post I went home and gave it a shot and BAM, 132 albums replaced - no need to call for a new download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Glad it helped you out Brad .

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Yeah! It was the best thing to happen to me in a week (yeah, my life is nuts).

Reaction score
I have question:

I have Movies folder and Music folder and I want Time Machine to backup only new files in these folders automatically, because I am working with music projects and I don't like to copy projects manually.

Reaction score
same problem as yours (i need help please)

Jhorra i've been having the same exact problem!!! please let me know if you were able to find a solution for it! [email protected]

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have question:

I have Movies folder and Music folder and I want Time Machine to backup only new files in these folders automatically, because I am working with music projects and I don't like to copy projects manually.
Are you saying that you want Time Machine to back up new files in only these two folders? If so, simply exclude all other folders from the backup. See this article and read the section Putting Time Machine on a Diet,

Once you exclude folders that you don't want to back up Time Machine backs up what's left. The first time it backs up al the content of those folders. On each subsequent backup only new / modified files are copied to the backup. A pointer is made to the location of unchanged files. This saves space or the backup size would quickly get out of control.

Keep in mind that any files in the excluded folders are not backed up. Make sure they are either backed up elsewhere or unimportant.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.