MacBook Pro Upgrades (hardware and software) Now No Wifi?

Reaction score
So I upgrade my harddrive to a SSD, and installed the OptiBay drive with a 1tb HD, did a fresh install of Lion (10.7.2) and I have not got my macbook to detect my wifi hardware at all... I opened my MBP up twice again, double checked all connections i touched, everything seems fine. Not to sure where to continue looking. pics below are the connects i believe have to do with my wifi/airport antena.

Originally I was running 10.6.8, Is this for sure a hardware screw up on my part or is this a known Lion issue?

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

OP
circa_bc
Reaction score

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OP
circa_bc
Reaction score
Found it, thanks :D

not to sure how i would have screwed it up beyond working... cables went in super clean, no issues... its just 2 little connectors.

any chance this is because of the OSX upgrade?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Found it, thanks :D

not to sure how i would have screwed it up beyond working... cables went in super clean, no issues... its just 2 little connectors.

any chance this is because of the OSX upgrade?

I'd be surprised if it was. I'm not sure how the WiFi card is installed in the MBP, but it is near the optical drive and you were in that vicinity to install the OptiBay. I know in other laptops I've worked on, the WiFi card is in a slot - and a bump the wrong way could keep it from seating right. I would try removing it entirely and reinstalling. If it does slot into place like most other laptops, another thing to try is to rub a pencil eraser on the contacts to clean them (make sure the lint doesn't land in the laptop).

OP
circa_bc
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if it was. I'm not sure how the WiFi card is installed in the MBP, but it is near the optical drive and you were in that vicinity to install the OptiBay. I know in other laptops I've worked on, the WiFi card is in a slot - and a bump the wrong way could keep it from seating right. I would try removing it entirely and reinstalling. If it does slot into place like most other laptops, another thing to try is to rub a pencil eraser on the contacts to clean them (make sure the lint doesn't land in the laptop).

Ill have to give that a shot. It looks like the airport card in my model (2009 13" MBP) is in the base of the monitor between the hinges.

OP
circa_bc
Reaction score
Here is a link to where my Airport card is located ( Installing MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 AirPort Antenna - Page 6 - iFixit ), Do you think its possible that some how i effected that area? it seems pretty isolated and secure. the only other thing i can think of is some how i damaged the pins on the 'camera cable' trying to put it back in, as it didnt slide in as easy as one would have hoped. But wouldnt it also effect other areas besides my airport card?

OP
circa_bc
Reaction score
Okay, i got home today, and ripped my MBP apart trying to figure out what i did and where everything went wrong. I used my 10x magnifying glass to make sure all my pins were clean and not bent when i put everything back together, everything works fantastic except OSX still cannot detect my Airport card.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At this point, I suggest replacing the Airport card. It's possible the card just coincidentally failed when you changed out the other components. You should be able to get a replacement card for around $60. Check with ifixit first to see if they have any in stock. Otherwise try Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad.

You might want to run the Apple Hardware Test first to see if it'll confirm the card being bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13' mid 2010, IMac 27', Mac Mini 2011, Ipod 1st gen, Ipad 2, IPhone 4S 32, AppleTV
I installed a new 1TB HD on my MBP 13' mid 2010 model A1278. After this the contact with the WiFi-card seased to function. The hardware test will not find the wifi-card and there is no wireless network showing up anywere. I've changed the wifi-card for a new one and I've changed the cable to the wifi (and camera). Everything else is working perfectly and I can connect to the Internet using ethernet but the MBP is acting as if there's no wifi-card installed!? Any ideas? Anyone??

I installed a new 1TB HD on my MBP 13' mid 2010 model A1278. After this the contact with the WiFi-card seased to function. The hardware test will not find the wifi-card and there is no wireless network showing up anywere. I've changed the wifi-card for a new one and I've changed the cable to the wifi (and camera). Everything else is working perfectly and I can connect to the Internet using ethernet but the MBP is acting as if there's no wifi-card installed!? Any ideas? Anyone??

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Please do not make multiple posts. Your posts have been merged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13' mid 2010, IMac 27', Mac Mini 2011, Ipod 1st gen, Ipad 2, IPhone 4S 32, AppleTV
Sorry

Just a bit desperate...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a bit desperate...

Understood.

Wish I could help . . . but it seems like you have already done the obvious things. May want to consider seeing if they can help you at the Apple Genius bar.

EDIT: A wild shot, but I know that MBPs can be picky on drive thickness (believe 9.5mm max), and even though it fit, possible interference there since I'm not aware of any 1TB drives that will currently fit a MBP (may have changed, confess I don't stay on top of this). Again this is a shot in the dark.

EDIT2: And this is assuming you put the new HD in the HD drive bay and not in place of the Optical Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HD in MBP

I did put in a HD instead of the optical drive.
What is the Apple Genius Bar?
Thank you for trying to help!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did put in a HD instead of the optical drive.
What is the Apple Genius Bar?
Thank you for trying to help!

Apple Genius Bar is the Tech Support Staff at the Apple Store. You can make an appointment with them and I believe it is free at least to consult. They will give you estimate if there is a cost for repair.

OP
circa_bc
Reaction score
Unfortunately i never did get my Airport card working, i ended up having to buy a 3rd party USB Wifi adapter. which sucks, but to be honest it has worked perfectly. its just annoying to take up a USB port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, we don't have any "real" Apple Stores in Sweden yet but I'm going to New York next week so I'll bring my MBP there. Any tips on the best Apple Store?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as best, you'll have to get that from our New York members, but I've always wanted to visit the 5th Ave Store (the Big Glass Cube). :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.