Advise about my PowerBook

Reaction score
I currently own a PowerBook G4 - running on 10.4.11 - it's a PowerPC.

Now it doesn't run the latest Flash updates which has led me to realise that I have been very stupid and should have upgraded to Leopard back in the day. Now I can't watch most videos and weirdly today i've stopped being able to attach files on gmail (apparently thats flash related also)

My questions are
1. If I spend the money on an upgrade to 10.5 Leopard will that then support the latest flash?
2. Not being Intel is 10.5 Leopard the furthest it will go - from what I can tell PowerPC doesn't support Snow Leopard - true?

I'm getting the feeling PowerPC's are a bit of a dead end now and I need think about buying a new mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
You're correct on number 2. Snow Leopard only supports Intel based Macs.

As for number one, do note that Leopard is quite expensive these days, and if you know that you're going to be upgrading your Mac at some point in the near future, you may want to put the cost of the upgrade towards the purchase of a newer Intel based Mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, I thought as much.

Yeah it is pretty pricey - luckily gmail is working fine now - nothing to do with flash, everything to do with me being dim! - so think I can hold off a little longer.

I see my bank account getting decidedly smaller in the near future though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
If budget is an issue I can't help but recommend Apple's refurb store as an option too. The one year warranty alone is worth more than you would save buying from eBay/craigslist/etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Just to add. Upgrading to Leopard won't make any difference to Flash. Adobe have just stopped supporting the Power PC architecture, regardless of the OS you use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.