usb turntable

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You should be able to, Yes.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you that is a start but when connected via USB I get only pips when played back - what am I doing wrong please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Which turntable do you have, the ION?
Have you selected the correct input in Garageband?

OP
L
Reaction score
I have an ion usb TT this is about 5 years old and has a choice of analogue phono plugs or USB leads.

I presume the usb is digital output so best to use in the iMac but await your advice
Do I need Audacity? All I am trying to do is copy my records onto the iMac not clean up etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if your copying LP's to the iMac, then Audacity is your best bet (or Audio Hijack Pro), but Audacity is free, and does the job well. I would not use Garageband for this purpose at all, too fiddly.
USB or Phono is fine. I personally use the line-in, phono option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 27" 3.2GHz core i3. iphone 5. iPod classic 160g. macbook air 13" . apple tv.
Hi Lingley
I hope that you have figured out the turntable issue, I also have an ion and i use audacity I noticed that you say you won't be "cleaning" your music, the files that audacity create are AUP files which are quite large files so if you are going to be struggling for space even in the future it may be worth cleaning your tracks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
Well if your copying LP's to the iMac, then Audacity is your best bet (or Audio Hijack Pro), but Audacity is free, and does the job well. I would not use Garageband for this purpose at all, too fiddly.
USB or Phono is fine. I personally use the line-in, phono option.

I used audacity with my USB turntable and it worked great. However, (there's always a however isn't there?) when I try to open it now, I get a "no longer supports power pc". Wonder if my file is corrupted and should just download it again? Has anyone else seen this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you try to open the recorded file? Or software?
The only thing that I know that has no Power PC support now is Flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
When you try to open the recorded file? Or software?
The only thing that I know that has no Power PC support now is Flash.

When I try to open the software. I moved all files to iTunes as I converted them and they are fine. I recently moved to Tiger from Snow Leopard. Wonder if that has something to do with it?

C

chas_m

You just need to get an updated copy of whatever the app is that you're trying to open (your message wasn't clear on what app you were talking about, Audacity maybe?).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.