Need Help with MacBook Cleanup

Reaction score
I've had my MacBook Pro for well over two years. It has served me really well, but I'm starting to have some issues here and there. I am thinking it's time to reload OSX and all my software to refresh the system. I have frequent backups of everything that I'm comfortable with.

Can someone help give me some guidance on how to proceed? While I have the Apple software (OSX), some of the other software was downloaded. Please advise.

Thanks,

Brad

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I've had my MacBook Pro for well over two years. It has served me really well, but I'm starting to have some issues here and there. I am thinking it's time to reload OSX and all my software to refresh the system. I have frequent backups of everything that I'm comfortable with.

Can someone help give me some guidance on how to proceed? While I have the Apple software (OSX), some of the other software was downloaded. Please advise.

Thanks,

Brad

Not saying you shouldn't do a reinstall, but personally I would do this first to see if it fixes things (not neccessarily in the order I have listed them):

1) Look at getting rid of 3rd party APPs such as Anti-virus (with the possible exception of ClamAV--free and relatively harmless), MacKeeper, Norton etc. Onyx and some specific drivers such as Printopeia or NTFS driver are also excepted

2) Repair Disk Permissions (download Onyx and let it do its business too)

3) Look at HDD free space (if less than 15%, upgrade disk or remove files--judiciously)

4) Defrag the HDD (I haven't done this yet, but some here have reccomended iDefrag)

OP
B
Reaction score
Not saying you shouldn't do a reinstall, but personally I would do this first to see if it fixes things (not neccessarily in the order I have listed them):

1) Look at getting rid of 3rd party APPs such as Anti-virus (with the possible exception of ClamAV--free and relatively harmless), MacKeeper, Norton etc. Onyx and some specific drivers such as Printopeia or NTFS driver are also excepted

2) Repair Disk Permissions (download Onyx and let it do its business too)

3) Look at HDD free space (if less than 15%, upgrade disk or remove files--judiciously)

4) Defrag the HDD (I haven't done this yet, but some here have reccomended iDefrag)

Thanks for the reply. One of the issues I'm having is the Repair Disk Permissions. I'm getting an error code that suggests the effort has failed.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thanks for the reply. One of the issues I'm having is the Repair Disk Permissions. I'm getting an error code that suggests the effort has failed.

What is the error code (I'm not an expert, but many here are on this site)? Often Repair Permissions will generate seeming errors that don't have any negative impact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.