Problems With Driver Installer HP Photosmart C310

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Problems With HP Photosmart C310 and MBP

I've had my Photosmart C310 for several months now and could always print to it with no problems. Wireless setup on wi-fi home network, WPA2 encrypted.

So, Saturday my wife was trying to print a document and one of the inks was completely out and wouldn't print. So she went to the store, got the ink (HP brand - same as all others in the printer), installed the ink cartridge but then it still wouldn't print. The little box that opens up when you print to show you the print queue, etc acted like it wanted to print but then it paused and said it was out of ink. Which it wasn't. We verified ink status on printer screen and with print queue app.

So I tried some troubleshooting, nothing worked. Eventually deleted the printer using System Preferences>Printers. (Had to do that because there was no uninstaller because the set up disc only works on 10.5 and 10.6.) I added the printer again the same as when I first got it (through System Preferences). Now it gives me a different problem when trying to print. It can see the printer and can tell me the ink level status and everything else but I'm getting this error message:
"/usr/libexec/cups/backend/dnssd failed - Communication Failure: The computer is no longer able to communicate with your printer. Turn the printer off, check your printer connections and check for printer errors, and turn the printer back on."

I tried turning the printer off and on. Restarted my Mac. All the typical stuff but it just won't send the print job. I used Software Update to get the latest driver. But this is also a weird phenomenon... SU wants to install 2.8, but the Printer Utility tells me the current version I'm using is 3.3. So it won't let 2.8 install over it, obviously. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
The printer is networked properly because I could print an email from my iPad. I'm usually pretty good at networking and fixing these things but I just don't know why it won't print.

OP
MYmacROX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Alright, just in case someone is having a similar problem I'll post my "solution".

I literally tried all I could think of and everything I found in Google searches and ultimately it came down to doing a restore from a Time Machine backup. This was pretty simple using the Lion Recovery partition. I restarted my MBP and held down cmd+R. The first screen gave me the option to restore from T.M. and after connecting my external drive and selecting the disk, I was able to choose which T.M. backup I wanted. It did it's thing (took a good 90-120 minutes) and then all was well. I printed an email to verify printing worked and no problems. This is a wonderful example of why regular T.M. backups are so important and useful. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.