would u do it again ?

D

dantesflame

I tried this in switcher forum but no one replied - will be more exhaustive here. I'm considering buying a 1ghz e-mac (saving up at moment). Done a fair amount of on-line research and am aware of the (what I hope) is old raster switching problem and also disparity between 128ram supplied and the needs of the o/s. My main concern is that it doesn't seem as if some of the problems documented with various mac machines were just anomolies but were resulting in some service shops reporting up to 30% recall/repairs (figures and info gleamed from various pro-mac and technical sites) and this seems to fly in the face of what Apple is supposed to be all about.

I had to decide against the G4 towers after reading consistent reports about noise problems. Decide against the Imac as an entry level computer as the monitor is integral and I'm not happy with Apples swap out policy or even its approach to defining its policy with dead or stuck pixels. Sort of only left with emac's as a way in that's an affordable risk as I understand the raster problem was eventually tracked down and shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Would appreciate it if somone could re-assure me that an E-mac is worth me risking my hard-earned pennies on.

Would really like to give Mac's a fair chance - but I need some reassurance.

Particularly recent switchers - would u do it again ?
Cheers Dante :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
ah the eMac, this computer is in my view the best deal for a macintosh you can get for money. Cheap and still fast, its like an iMac with out the fancy screen. I can assure you the eMac would be a great purchase.

OP
D

dantesflame

Will keep on doing my homework, keeping tabs on the forums etc. to see whats happening with different hardware and panther. To be honest my PC is mostly sweet - great flatron TFT monitor, decent keyboard etc. everything works nicely together and XP has never presented me with a problem as a working system. It's just that it is microsoft windows, and I still don't understand why I haven't got direct access to files like index.dat without having to muck about, security updates are getting a little samey and of course I have to fork out again if I want to use xp on a second machine. I figure if I put cash aside and pay upfront rather than credit, then even if I hate it at least its a done deal and I'll have got it out of my system without too much harm done (apart from loving wife pointing at box in corner and quoting words like monumental and waste for the next thirty years, its ok though - I can deal :) ).

Gotta say though the entry level emac ain't as cheap as it seems when you want the added extras like some ram and a basic swivel base, for what is I think a 50kg machine.

Cheers for your reply

Dante :)

OP
G

George

eMacs do have one little problem tho, if you play music loudish on the newer eMac the screen wobbles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
lol, the screen wobbles.

Anyways, I don't know much about the eMacs. But I would tell you this.

Yes, i would switch again. And I would buy the Dual 1.8GHz.

But since I'm a past switcher. I have the single 1.8GHz. Darn my hastiness ;)

sKaD

OP
H

HopperJonusFang

George said:
eMacs do have one little problem tho, if you play music loudish on the newer eMac the screen wobbles.

lol i too have found this, maybe thats why the volume doesnt go too loud on these speakers on the eMac

I think more powerful external speakers are definitely on my wishlist :)

But I am a new switcher (2 weeks) and dished out on an eMac, and it doesnt disappoint apart from perhaps the 128Mb RAM which I will shortly be upgrading, but having said that, despite the poor amoutn of memory the machine still runs fast and copes with all the basic apps running on Jaguar OS X 10.2.4

OP
D

dantesflame

HopperJonusFang said:
lol i too have found this, maybe thats why the volume doesnt go too loud on these speakers on the eMac

I think more powerful external speakers are definitely on my wishlist :)

But I am a new switcher (2 weeks) and dished out on an eMac, and it doesnt disappoint apart from perhaps the 128Mb RAM which I will shortly be upgrading, but having said that, despite the poor amoutn of memory the machine still runs fast and copes with all the basic apps running on Jaguar OS X 10.2.4

Sounds re-assuring - many thanks for replying - at this point my pennies look like they're going Mac ! Getting short of new experiences anyway lol. :)

OP
S

Solanderdog

dantesflame said:
Sounds re-assuring - many thanks for replying - at this point my pennies look like they're going Mac ! Getting short of new experiences anyway lol. :)

Good stuff,

I just bought an eMac after having used PCs for the last 10 years or so. My first Mac was a little B&W SE and after that I had an LCII. I think those were the models . . . it has been awhile. Anyway, back then I got a deal on a PC I couldn't resist and it was a mistake. After that, I slowly buillt up a collection of software that I could never bring myself to part with and I just couldn't come back to the fold, until now.

A couple of weeks ago, my PC went to black. I almost bought another one because of all the software I have, but I figured if I didn't switch back now, it would be another five or six years before my wife would agree I needed a new system. So, a week ago yesterday I went and got an eMac with the 256 MB and SuperDrive. It's been great and although AppleWorks seems a bit on the klunky side to me, it does get you by.

The only trouble with getting the eMac you need to be made aware of is the resultant loss of sleep. I find if I wake at any point in the night, I'm can't fall back to sleep as I've just got to come down to the studio and play with my new toy. I couldn't be happier with the machine. I'm NEVER goin' back to PC again.

I just tested the screen wobble with speakers on full blast that some of the others have mentioned. I never put them up that high before so this is news to me but mine does it too.

I hope you enjoy your new eMac as well as I do,
tony

OP
T

ttn0001

External speaker wobbles?

Using external speakers, has anyone experienced wobbling with the screen? I have studio monitors (speakers) that I usually blast. I'm thinking about getting an Emac for my audio/video studio.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
ttn0001 said:
Using external speakers, has anyone experienced wobbling with the screen? I have studio monitors (speakers) that I usually blast. I'm thinking about getting an Emac for my audio/video studio.

no wobbling once you get external speakers.
just keep the speaker power suply not too close to the screen.
eMac will do fine for you needs, but do not record with the microphone in the same room as eMac (quite noisy for that :) )

OP
T

ttn0001

MAC-simus said:
no wobbling once you get external speakers.
just keep the speaker power suply not too close to the screen.
eMac will do fine for you needs, but do not record with the microphone in the same room as eMac (quite noisy for that :) )

It can't be that loud? Is the emac loudness unbearable? Very hard to determine in the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
dantesflame said:
Gotta say though the entry level emac ain't as cheap as it seems when you want the added extras like some ram and a basic swivel base, for what is I think a 50kg machine.

Cheers for your reply

Dante :)

It isn't cheap, but it is an excellent deal as Macs go. ~$1000 (even less if you qualify for the education discount) for a 1.25 GHz G4 with a SuperDrive, 256 MB of RAM, and an 80 GB HDD. Good stuff. I'd suggest purchasing any extra RAM elsewhere, since Apple's prices aren't the best for that. Oh, and it's 50 lbs., not 50 kg. ;)

...imagines people trying to lift a 110 lb. eMac onto their desks... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
ttn0001 said:
It can't be that loud? Is the emac loudness unbearable? Very hard to determine in the store.
The eMac is a very quiet system. And any way to get OS X is a good one! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I absolutely love my eMac. I purchased a refurbished 1Ghz model only about 2 weeks ago and I have thoroughly enjoyed it thus far. You definitely get a lot of bang for your buck with an eMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
ttn0001 said:

Its not unbearable. but noisy for sound recording. thats my opinion. if you know somebody who has eMAC, try to record something with microphone, (not internal) and also try to do it from diferent distance. when you blayback your recording, youll see if quality satisfies you and also be able to determine the optimal distance, when its least noisy. if you dont know anyone with eMAC, why dont you go to nearest apple store and see it yourself?

I em overall pretty satisfied with my eMAC. works just perfect. my old 700 eMAC never had any problems at all, though it runs 24/7 for last 2 years. as for the new 1GHz one I have had it for 4 months now and no problems except that display wobling in lower corners of screen when I overload thye system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.