What is this message?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (2010), 2gb RAM, 250gb HDD, 256mb Graphics,
Hello everybody, I've got a problem with my macbook.

I bought a macbook off my school recently after its contract ended, and I requested that they didn't wipe it and just remove their programs so I didn't have to backup and restore. Anyway, they didn't appear to get rid of everything. I can't go in to see them because the school year is over for now, but I don't want to have to deal with it all holidays.
Anyway, its some sort of program inside the Operating system (It applies to all users). It was used by the IT guys to delete any applications that weren't part of their default set of applications. It deletes unwanted programs upon their launch. Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Picture of the popup:
http://i.imgur.com/jcXzJ.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I would reckon the only way to get rid of that would be to do a new install of the OS.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does it matter that I only have the install disks for Macbook pro and Mac Mini? (OS 10.6)
I was told that macs are very specific with the disks that you use with them.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You would need the install disk that came with that Macbook or a retail version of OS X.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would go out for $29 and get a Retail OSX Snow Leopard DVD. That will solve it for you.

You could run Lion on that machine but it needs Snow Leopard for the App Store to download it. The $29 DVD will be your best deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
To backup what Dennis states, when you get a used machine, always format the hard drive and do a clean system install. If it is the MB in your avatar, buy and run Lion. May be better to spend $69 and get the USB thumb drive version. Otherwise you pay $29 fro Snow Leopard and another $29 to download Lion. For ten bucks having on a thumb drive is the way to go imho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
To backup what Dennis states, when you get a used machine, always format the hard drive and do a clean system install. If it is the MB in your avatar, buy and run Lion. May be better to spend $69 and get the USB thumb drive version. Otherwise you pay $29 fro Snow Leopard and another $29 to download Lion. For ten bucks having on a thumb drive is the way to go imho.

I can second this one. For the ten dollar difference, having the Lion backup drive would not be a terrible thing. Plus then you have a bootable thumb drive, which you would have to make yourself if you downloaded Lion.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks heaps for the help guys, it looks like I'll be buying a Lion USB drive. I just wondering for future reference though, do any of you have an idea of what the source of the popup is?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.