iPhone 4S quality and construction

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2011, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 500gb
I’m finding that my iPhone 4S does not feel as though it was constructed as well as earlier phones. I had my 3GS for almost 3 years and it was the most well made gadget I have ever had but my 4S has a rattle in the back by the camera lens and the back plate shifts back and forth ever so slightly if I hold it a certain way.

I was thinking about making an appoint to get it looked at but the nearest Apple store is 100 miles away. The phone works fine but I keep thinking that either this phone slipped through the quality control at the manufacture or these phones are just not as well made.

I know most of us here are very happy with our Apple products but has anyone had this thought about the iPhone 4S?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I’m finding that my iPhone 4S does not feel as though it was constructed as well as earlier phones. I had my 3GS for almost 3 years and it was the most well made gadget I have ever had but my 4S has a rattle in the back by the camera lens and the back plate shifts back and forth ever so slightly if I hold it a certain way.

I was thinking about making an appoint to get it looked at but the nearest Apple store is 100 miles away. The phone works fine but I keep thinking that either this phone slipped through the quality control at the manufacture or these phones are just not as well made.

I know most of us here are very happy with our Apple products but has anyone had this thought about the iPhone 4S?

My wife has had the iPhone 4 since launch and I have the iPhone 4S. Neither of us have these issues, nor have I ever heard of them. Sounds like you got a lemon. It happens. Call Apple.

C

chas_m

No iPhone 4S I've seen (nor iPhone 4) has a "rattle" or a "shifting back plate" (!!). There is definitely something wrong there. You might call Apple up and explain your remoteness, maybe they can do a mail exchange with you or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
Ah ha! The "infamous" iPhone rattle.

My iPhone 4 does this, my sister's boyfriend's iPhone 4 does this. My Dad's 4S does this. My colleague's 4S also does this. Now, me being me just went "meh - still works" but my colleague however tried to complain about this rattle which happened after a few days after receiving his 4S. He tried to complain to Vodafone, who told him he'd have to send it back and they would replace it with a refurbished one. He wasn't happy with this so trudged into the local Apple store, only to be told by a genius "Yeah, mate, this is a recognised fault on iPhone 4/4S.... If you want it replaced we'll give a refurb, chances are that will do it aswell".

Bottom line, Apple know it makes this rattle noise, just can't be bothered to do anything about it, not permanently anyway. So this would suggest standards are slipping, perhaps.

Haven't come across your other issue though, I'll keep an eye out.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
iPhone 3GS? Well made? not at all.

The back casing is the most prone thing to cracks i have ever seen. About 90% of the them that turn up at work I have to turn away due to either hairline cracks near the headphone jack or huge cracks by the 8pin connector.

iPhone 4's on the other hand rarely give me any jip ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
mine has no rattle, no hum, no moving parts (that shouldnt be moving). Neither do my parents' 4s'. As many iPhones as there are out there, I am sure some show issues - but it will be a very low percentage.

OP
maxwell2112
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the interesting array of responses.

I called Apple and the guy explained that the rattle is the shudder on the camera and that is just the way it is. The back plate is lose and they offered to exchange it. The guy said he didn't know if it would be a re-built (he refused to use the word "refurb") phone or a new one but most likely a new one.

I couldn't be with out it because I use it for my work e-mail so they put a hold on my credit card for the full price but will release it as soon as I ship the old phone.

It was easier than I thought it would be, I was prepared to deal with some hard-*** policy stuff but was pleasantly surprised.

C

chas_m

I only have five iPhone 4's and 4S's in my immediate circle of friends, but I asked them to give it a shake and report back. No rattles in the bunch, nor should there be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You wouldn't hear it by shaking it, you hear the noise by tapping it at the back near to where the camera is situated, but that's by the by...

Anyway, we all agree that it shouldn't be rattling, truth of the matter is - some iPhones rattle and Apple just accepts it as part of the design. Maybe they should make a camera that doesn't rattle next time around.

OP - glad they are sending you another... Let us know if this one rattles to!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You wouldn't hear it by shaking it, you hear the noise by tapping it at the back near to where the camera is situated, but that's by the by...

Well whaddya know… mine does do that.

The rattling is normal. It is the gyro that is near the camera.

This sounds like a perfectly reasonable and acceptable explanation and I'm satisfied with it. If it DIDN'T rattle, I think I'd be concerned. After all, this is a moving part. Nothing to see here folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhhh, well if it's the gyro then that makes sense. Panic over.

OP
maxwell2112
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't being literal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
The rattle is from the lenses in the camera.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Why would a MEMs gyro rattle - at least rattle at a level that a human could hear? I'm going to cast a vote for the lenses as indicated above.

OP
maxwell2112
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said, the guy at Apple said it was known and it was the camera shutter. Makes sense to me if for no other reason than the fact that this phone has an updated camera but they all have gyros (it could be an updated gyro too but whatever). My 3GS was solid as a brick and never made any noise like that; I'm starting to miss it :/

They overnighted the phone but I didn't get it until lastnight because Fed-ex apparently believes over-night delivery means no-one else in the world has day-jobs.....

I can't tell if it is new or a refurb. It feels more solid in my hand. Even the power button up top feels different and the back plate is solid as it should be. However, I noticed that when I called Verizon to activate it, the Verizon-chick-computer voice was at the right volume and frequency to make the shutter vibrate! I'm gonna miss uncle Steve!!!!!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Doesn't seem that likely either - as I'm fairly certain there is no mechanical shutter in the 4s.

Reaction score
THAT rattle? When you TAP by the camera? Aren't we being a TAD bit anal about this lol.

OP
maxwell2112
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey! When I beat my phone with a hammer I do not want to hear a lot of rattling around and stuff!

Just joking but really, when I pay $400.00 and sign a two year contract for a phone, I at least want to know why it does that and/or if mine is the only one. My 3GS didn't do it so naturally I considered it a defect. There seems to be a lot of mixed ideas of what it is, even from Apple. I find that interesting.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have never noticed it - if you hadn't posted this - so I just tapped mine. Sure enough the slightest rattle - and I'm convinced that it has to be related to the lenses. I'm certain it's neither the gyro or shutter. At any rate - nothing I'm going to worry about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.