Bandwidth usage over the top

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4th gen, iMac 7,1
Hi;
My family of 5 all have computers now (4 Macs, 1 PC) and our broadband usage seems to get close to, or go over, our allotted 75 gigs every month. Granted, it's hard to keep a lid on what the teens are doing but, still, a list of the biggest users of bandwidth would be appreciated. And, other than cutting back on things like streaming YouTube and Skype calls, what can a person do to remedy this?
DJ

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's not much you can do to remedy this issue beyond cutting back. It's like attempts to quit smoking - the only way that will happen is if you actually stop. The same logic applies here since the only way to lower usage is to actually do so. That said, you've got the biggest offenders in your list (streaming video sucks back a lot). If anyone downloads a lot of files, that would be another place to cut back.

Some ISP's can provide detailed statistics about usage. It won't be application specific but it might tell you your "peak times" so at least you know who to blame, haha. ;)

I don't know who your ISP is but I do know that not all ISPs actually care if you go over. Here in Ontario, I had Cogeco for a few years and despite warnings, we were never charged for overages. Now, I'm not suggesting you take this risk but know that you might be in the clear (I suppose when the bill comes, you'll know for sure).

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4th gen, iMac 7,1
Thanks, Van
Our ISP has been pretty good about it; let us off the hook a couple of times but, not anymore. I will call them and see about peak usage times. That could give us a clue as to who's doing what, as you suggest.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.