Keeping my mac running like new

Reaction score
Heyah folks, I'm a recent switcher.

Started getting blue screens on my gaming rig and rather than start replacing hardware (video cards went bad) decided to jump ship all together as I no longer had time for hardcore gaming. And needed something reliable for work.

So went out in mid 2011 and got a nice shiny glossy iMac 2.7 Ghz i5 27 inch.
4GB ram, etc etc.

Well, that was mid 2011, and I love it so far.. however i've run into a few snags.

Some slow downs when under load. It used to be lightning fast, and dont get me wrong, it still is usually, but i'm seeing signs of sluggishness.

heres my questions, on my windows machine i'd have to do periodic disk scans, clean ups, registery clean ups, defrags, startup cleanups, list goes on and on.

What regular maintenance should I be doing on the iMac ?

I'm not keen on the idea of formating it once every 4 months to get a fresh feel ;P

also, I'm looking to upgrade the ram from 4GB to 8GB, but i'd really like to kick it up to 16GB, however i'm not 100% sure what the max is for this system, I've seen on some sites, max is 4, others i've seen 12, and others i've seen 16.

While I know apple tests out their products, I'd like to know if buying ram from another source would void my warranty, etc. As Apples choice of ram is um.. shall we say obscenely priced ? :D

Thanks guys!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Max RAM is 32 GB per MacTracker, though Apple says 16 GB

Download Onyx and run (free download)
Repairing Disk permissions is about the only semi-routine maintenance I do

Keep disk free space to at least 15%

Absolutely won't void your warranty to upgrade on your own (what we reccommend). Just make sure the modules are compatible with your Mac.

Reaction score
If you wish to make your mac run faster I recommend the program CPU speed accelerater.

Whenever your mac is running it will be nearly 5 times faster and if your worried about your cpu overheating just use smc fan control.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If you wish to make your mac run faster I recommend the program CPU speed accelerater.

Whenever your mac is running it will be nearly 5 times faster and if your worried about your cpu overheating just use smc fan control.

Have no experience with this program, but I don't think over clocking is something to normally consider as it was on PC's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Google it, read the comments and steer well clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
C

chas_m

I am highly suspicious of any software program that claims to make CPUs faster, as that is a physical impossibility. I suggest to you that perhaps you've been bamboozled there just a bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.