Found 2 (13 inch) Macbook Pros

Reaction score
I was walking home early one morning from a friends house. Not even kidding, two 13" Macbook Pros are sitting in the snow with no one to be found. Curiously, of course, I walk over to them and begin inspecting them. Now, keep in mind that this was a Saturday night/Sunday morning at 4 a.m. and I live in a very prestigious college town that is known for it's drinking. I own my own Macbook Pro (15") so I know a little about these computers.

1st Macbook Pro Description.
The first one I noticed looks like it has been dropped quite a few times. It's having issues closing completely. I connected my power cord to it and nothing happened. No light showed on the charger, no sound came forward when I tried to turn it on. It seems pretty dead.

2nd Macbook Pro Description.
The second one is in a lot better shape than the first one. I plugged it in just as I did for the first one but this time there was a green light showing on the charger (Which I think means the battery is still functioning) This laptop also looks like it has been dropped a few times - not as many times as the first one, though. I held down the power button (with it plugged in) and that typical Macbook sound went off like it's turning on a loading. The screen was black but I was able to see what page the former owner was on when they last used it. So, the screen works... to a degree. The fan started running when I turned it on so I feel like this computer has potential.

I talked to a few friends that are pretty handy with computers and they recommended that I get involved in a forum discussion and maybe I'll derive some answers.

So, I'm on here asking for help and suggestions on what the most beneficial way to go about this situation would be. I'm NOT going to return them to their owners. Anyone who is stupid enough to throw their Macbook Pros around doesn't deserve it back. I have checked on Apple's website and both computers are registered by their Serial Number on the back - which sucks.

So please, anyone who has either dealt with a similar situation or has any advice, please help me out. Thank you

P.S. The first two pictures are for the first computer description. The second pair of pictures are for the second computer description

-kyle

Comp 1.jpg

Comp 1.1.jpg

Comp 2.jpg

Comp 2.1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THe screen works to a degree - what is actually wrong with the screen on the second one

The first one sounds really dead, but might have a functioning battery, if the first one is truly dead, at least the screen may potentially work better, assuming it has less damage.

You can try swapping the screens, ifixit has good tear downs as long as you dont mind spending an afternoon pulling them apart and putting them back together

Also, if there is damage to the first macs power circuitry, you could try swapping the batteries out to see if the first one will run at all from a charged battery

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm not too great at taking things apart. I don't know what's wrong with the first Macbook... it wont respond at all. Both screens look in good condition. Just nothing is turning on. I don't want to take it somewhere that will contact Apple with the serial number just because someone could claim it and really, I don't think they deserve to have their computers back - not trying to sound like a jerk. The last thing I want is for Apple to get involved. But I need both computers checked out and fixed if necessary so that I can sell them or keep them if they work well enough.

For a while, the second computer (the one in better condition) was beeping at me in a low tone every 4-5 seconds. Also, simultaneously, the sleep light would blink every time it beeped. I looked online and it sounds like that's an issue with the RAM card

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
So, I'm on here asking for help and suggestions on what the most beneficial way to go about this situation would be. I'm NOT going to return them to their owners. Anyone who is stupid enough to throw their Macbook Pros around doesn't deserve it back. I have checked on Apple's website and both computers are registered by their Serial Number on the back - which sucks.
That's quite the presumption your making. How do you know with absolute certainty that those machines were purposely discarded? If you're not willing to make an effort to return some expensive equipment, I would suggest that you hope no one is looking for them.

The fact that you know that the machines are registered, checked this and are disappointed speaks volumes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd be willing to bet they were stolen and subsequently dumped when the thieves made a quick getaway. I can't imagine anyone - inebriated or otherwise - throwing a $1000+ laptop out like it's a spent pizza box.

OP
K
Reaction score
I've called my local police and they're willing to help me with the situation. There, I did the right thing..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That was the right thing to do. If the owners truly threw them out (Trust me, it happens and I have seen it many times) then they will not want them back. But if it was an accident, they should get their property back even though they are not treating them that well.

Who knows, they might have fallen out of a moving vehicle or something and that is why they are damaged. That happens also. This way you will know for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.