Macbook Air HD upgrade?

Reaction score
I have an MBA getting on for 3 years old with an 80GB hard drive. Apple tell me it isn't possible (at least not through Apple!) to upgrade to a bigger hard drive. Does anyone have experience of doing this and could you advise me on what potential difficulties are?
I am not the sort of person who can tinker and do jobs like this myself: I would be looking to pay a professional to do it properly! If Apple won't do it, do you know who can?
I am currently saving space by transferring big files (iphoto library and itunes library) to an external HD attached to an airport extreme - but this is not without its own problems so I would prefer to upgrade if possible!
Thanks for any advice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
MBA's have been around since 2008...there have been 14 different models...and here have been some significant changes along the way. So it would REALLY help if you told us exactly which model MBA you have.:)

Since you mentioned having your MBA for 3 years...I'm assuming you have one of the older models.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Sure - thought I would start with a general enquiry! But I take your point...
Here's what it says on the box:
Model no A1237
1.6GHz Intel Core duo
2GB DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 4200-rpm hard drive
13.3 inch screen
Described as "original" so I think it was indeed the first model in 2008.

That seems to be the crucial information - have I missed anything important that would be useful to know?

OP
O
Reaction score
Thank you! Looks worth pursuing - though I will definitely go down the professional installation route...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you! Looks worth pursuing - though I will definitely go down the professional installation route...

You're welcome!:)

This may cost you a lot more than you think...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
That video comparing boot times is INSANE!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That video comparing boot times is INSANE!

Yeah...I viewed that as well recently. Certainly a great way to visually explain the advantages of an SSD.:)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Well - maybe I'll see how much they quote - and if it's too much I'll put the money towards a new MBA!
I also wonder about upgrading the RAM - maybe cheaper?
Thanks for your advice anyway - appreciated.
Oliver

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also wonder about upgrading the RAM - maybe cheaper?

This is easier to answer...you can't upgrade the ram on the MacBook Air. This is one of the disadvantages of the MBA...you have to decide on the ram when you purchase it...then you got what you got!

- Nick

p.s. Actually with the original MBA...they only came with 2 gig of ram (non-upgradeable).

OP
O
Reaction score
You're welcome!:)

This may cost you a lot more than you think...but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!;)

Good luck,

- Nick

This is easier to answer...you can't upgrade the ram on the MacBook Air. This is one of the disadvantages of the MBA...you have to decide on the ram when you purchase it...then you got what you got!

- Nick

p.s. Actually with the original MBA...they only came with 2 gig of ram (non-upgradeable).

Ah - OK that narrows my options! But I was impressed with that video so will look at the HD situation and see if it's worth it. Thanks for all the advice!
Oliver

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
OP
O
Reaction score
If you are tempted by SSD, to me you should really consider the below

Refurbished MacBook Air 1.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

13 in MBA w/4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD, $1099 refurb from Apple.

A 128 GB SSD alone will set you back $250 (before paying for install).

OK that's interesting: though one of my issues is simply the size of the HD so if I'm going to spend money on the problem, I'd want more than 128GB really... but it does show that maybe my money might be better put towards a new machine!
Thanks for the tip.
Oliver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.