Migration Assistant Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5, 2011, 4GB, OS X Lion 10.7
Hi, I'm the new owner of a 21.5 iMac, switching over from a PC. I got Migration Assistant to connect the two computers and it's going, but it's been going for over ten hours already. The screen says it's been copying my music all this time and has nearly ten hours to go. Does that mean ten more hours just for the music? At this rate to transfer everything I'll need to leave both computers connected and running for days. Is this really how it's supposed to work?

My main question right now is: Can I change my mind at this point and stop the migration process? Will I screw anything up by doing that? All I really need transferred most urgently right now are text documents, and could do those more quickly using a flash drive.

If I interrupt the migration process can I start it over later, or select different (fewer) things to be transferred?

Apologies if this has all been answered somewhere. I did a search but didn't find exactly these questions. Thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are you doing this over wifi?

I wouldn't stop it if I were you, it would likely cause more problems that it solves

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I am transferring over wifi.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, we're assuming you installed the Windows Migration Assistant for Lion from Apple? LINK If you're attempting to use the normal Migration Assistant it likely will not work correctly. And as pointed out above, doing it wireless will take forever. Using an ethernet connection between the two machines will be much faster.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did download the Migration Assistant for Lion, and it does appear to working, just very slowly.

I assume there's no way to switch to ethernet midway, and that since I've begun doing it over wifi I just have to let it continue that way until it finishes?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: the MA finished copying my music, went through pictures and is now copying movies, and tells me the remaining time is a bit over eight hours, so it seems the whole process will be done by sometime this evening, not the days I was anticipating. I can live with that. : )

C

chas_m

Transferring really large amounts of data over Wi-Fi, particularly if your connection is 802.11g-based, will take a long time. This is why they recommend a cable.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The process ended up taking close to twenty hours, but it did work and there were no glitches, other than the fact that it placed all my stuff in a second user account (I had done some reading and research before, but somehow missed that this would happen if you didn't do the migration during the initial machine setup).

Since all my documents and files are in the other user account, I'm just using that one as my primary account; it seems the path of least resistance, as opposed to trying to move stuff back into the initial account.

Is it possible to simply delete the other account if I'm not using it, or does it need to remain for some reason because it was the original setup account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
You can delete it :) As long as your new account is an administrative one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.