Ghost sound in my iMac

Reaction score
Every now and then what sounds like a milling machine in action comes from my iMac. I do have a CNC milling machine and have put videos of it on my iMac but I've found and deleted all of them. The strange thing is no programme aside from Finder is running but there is still a sound file playing loudly. I'm 99% certain that it is a sound file and not an interference type sound. I have yet to spot it in Activity Monitor but I'll try that next time. I've used Clean my Mac, MacKeeper and Sophos to clean up and eradicate any virus that might cause it - nothing found.

Any one else had this/solved it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you sure it's not just the fans spooling up?

Also, I would HIGHLY recommend removing MacKeeper immediately:
Uninstalling MacKeeper

MacKeeper is a scam. It does nothing that built-in utilities on your Mac don't already do, and in fact, there are many reports that it can damage the OS. To add insult to injury it's not even a "Mac" application - the developer repackaged a bunch of Windows code and run it under emulation.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for that, it is now removed. I'll report back if the problem still happened. Definitely not the fans in the iMac, I don't think it has any anyway.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for that, it is now removed. I'll report back if the problem still happened. Definitely not the fans in the iMac, I don't think it has any anyway.

It does - in fact, it probably has several. You can see their status by using something like iStat Pro (runs in the Dashboard) or iStat Menus (runs in the Menu bar).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.