Carbon Copy Cloner, data lost

Reaction score
I screwed up and was copying a hard drive so I could reformat it. I used carbon copy cloner, and I copied one partition, and then I used it again to copy another partition. Then I foolishly reformatted the original hard drive before realizing that all I had was the last partition I copied.

Any suggestions on recovering this data? Either off the first hard drive or the one I copied.

Thanks,
John

C

chas_m

Your best hope is from the one you've erased if you haven't done anything else with it since. Any good data-recovery utility should be able to put you back to rights. I'm lucky that I always have two backups so I don't have to worry about this, but I've heard Data Rescue 3 is a good choice. I think they will let you run it and see what CAN be recovered before you pay for it.

OP
M
Reaction score
data rescue 3

So I have data rescue 3 and was able to recover all of the files from the one I erased. Or at least kind of. I have all of them now "recovered" but the files won't open? They are the correct size but for example if it's a photoshop file it will say photoshop can't open file because it is an invalid document or something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.