Need app to open rar files

Reaction score
i cant seem to open rar files , i have all kinds of programs none seem to work for me, thank you for reading this as i am 70 yr. old so i am not great on computors so any help will help me

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I moved your post here to the correct forum and edited your title.

Download the free UnRarX for the Mac from here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Unarchiver for the majority, unless you have password protected files for any reason, then UnrarX.

C

chas_m

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but I've always used MacPar Deluxe since it also reads PAR files and so far, no problems. It's shareware.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you're accustomed to using WinRar or WinZip on Windows, you'll feel right at home with BetterZip. It costs a few bucks, but it's well worth it in my opinion - it's one of the few Mac archiving utilities that doesn't immediately extract data upon execution (i.e. you can pick and choose what you want to extract).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.