G5 Hard Drive Swap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just died :(
So I had a Mac G5 Dual 2 ghz but the logic board went out. If I get another G5 will I be able to install the hard drives from my old G5 that doesn't work into the new/used G5? What Do I need to match up to make sure I will have a successfull swap out. Can I get a used G5 quad core and put the hard drive in it or is the os not compatable OS 10.4.? I'm asking this because I have the original MBox with protools LE 7.4 on the old hard drives and need to get up and recording again. Money is tight so the cheapest way I can think of is buying a used G5 from macs.com or dvwarehouse.com or equivalent and putting my old hard drives in it that has all my music and programs. Will it work or what do I need to do to make it work? Thank you all for your replies in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The hard drives are SATA and will fit the October 2005 Dual Core no problems.

Note what you said about the cash, just a reminder the days of the PowerPC architecture are behind us. You will be able to run Leopard OS X.5.8 the final operating system for G5's.

Make sure you get a Dual Core as there is a lot of confusion between the 2GHz, 2GHZ DP and 2GHz and higher Quad Cores. Suggest ducking the 2.5GHz Quad Core as it is liquid cooled and many are failing now. The best option would be the 2.3GHz Dual Core.

OP
Solid Sound
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately I'am very aware that it is outdated, but money is an issue in my situation. Thanks for stating what I was thinking about the quad's failing. So I can just buy any 2.3Ghz Dual Core and be able to simply install the hard drives and turn it on even though they came out of a 2Ghz. the OS will work? I would think I would have to buy the same exact computer with the same exact logic board number, but I don't see why a 2.3Ghz Dual Core wouldn't work either. I don't have to match up anything? Taking into consideration the hard drives are SATA if the computer accepts SATA drives then I think it should work, but I don't have the money to waist if it doesn't work and have to ship it back. Thanks this is much appreciated.

OP
Solid Sound
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why the dual core over the dual processor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because it has much more processing power as it has two cores to each of two processors. MacTracker provides Geekbench scores for various models. A 2GHz DP returns 1671 and a 2.3GHz Dual Core comes in at 2108, nearly 30% more. G5 DP are getting on and with the price of G5's you should pick up a Dual Core cheap.

OP
Solid Sound
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it not possible because the programs are for a dual processor not a single?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes that is the machine and there no programs for DP or Dual Core or singles only. The software will always run better on the higher spec'd machine.

OP
Solid Sound
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry my last post was in reply to someones question, but it appears they deleted their comment. In regards to what you said, thank you. I just wanted to make sure because I didn't know if programs had to be written differently for different processors. Now lets just hope that my hard drives didn't get toasted when the ram slots went out. I'll probly get that computer and put 2 or 4 more gigs of ram in it, buy the protools 8 upgrade and a used mbox 2. That would be within budget and I would have a better system than I did originally. Then I could just use the os that it comes with and instal my 2nd drive where I have all my protools session files and continue my work. Thanks again for your help it is greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.