iPod iCal info to iMac iCal

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Touch 4th gen, iMac 7,1
I didn't start using iCal until I got my iPod a few months ago and would now like to be able to have it on both my iPod Touch and my iMac.

I have found lots of info about syncing my iPod Touch with my iMac. However, I haven't been able to find out exactly how to get iCal info from my iPod to my iMac's iCal, instead of the other way around.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
DJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
How old is your iPod/iMac?

If you're running iOS 5.1 on your iPod, and Lion on your Mac, then iCloud will sync your calendars across both devices automagically.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could also use Google Calendar which will work regardless of what version of OS X and iOS you use. The added benefit of that (along with iCloud) is the ability to manipulate your calendar from other computers. iCal instructions here, iOS here.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod iCal

Thanks for the quick reply.

My Touch is the newest gen and I'm running 5.1 on it. My iMac is running 10.6.8.

DJ

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Since you're not using Lion, you won't be able to use iCloud. Google Calendar will still work if that interests you.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod iCal

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

I may check out Google.
DJ

C

chas_m

You don't require an iCloud account to have the iCal and the iOS calendar sync. You can do this by simply connecting the iOS device to your computer, opening iTunes (if it doesn't open automatically) and telling it to sync calendars. It will re-sync them each time you connect the two.

iCloud (or the Google calendar option) is only needed if you want continuous wireless syncing.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Chas. I've just done that and nothing seems to have changed. I should be clear here: I'm trying to get the info from my Touch's iCal into my iMac's iCal. I know this is probably backwards to most people but, I didn't start using my iCal until I got my iPod.

DJ

C

chas_m

Shouldn't make any difference: syncing of calendar data is two-way.

Was the iPod previously synced to another machine?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it was. Just got this iMac a few months ago.

C

chas_m

Oh, well that's the problem then. You need to completely wipe and re-sync to the new machine before it will sync that stuff automatically.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pardon my ignorance here... can you tell me (or point me to a link that shows me) step-by-step how to do this? Perhaps it's in the manual? I don't wanna screw up and lose stuff like contacts and such.

Reaction score
syncing calendar via icloud

I have followed many of the forums to try to get my calendar on the iphone4s to sync with the imac calendar. Everything is up to date. But when I try to set up the icloud account on my imac, I get the response "Your calendar account isn't on a server that can receive your calendar information securely." It then offers to continue searching for the account on other servers. When I ask it to do that, it no longer offers icloud as an alternative. Thanks for any ideas on this....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.