Buying A Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro (Late 2011), 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5, 4GB, 500GB. Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2
Hello Everyone,
I'm currently deciding if I should purchase a Macbook Pro 13' of late 2011. I am not a graphic designer but I am a pre-med student. I use my internet daily and I use it for: Facebook, Tumblr, Online Shopping, Chatting, Gaming, Downloading Music, Movies, Uploading photos from my iPhone. That is pretty much it. What would you guys recommend me buying?:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
If it weren't for the gaming, a basic configuration 11" MacBook Air with an external hard drive for extra storage would do for your purposes...

As it is, which MacBook Pro you'd need would depend on which games you plan on playing (also, bear in mind that you'd need to install Windows via Boot Camp to play PC games).

If you really want a Mac notebook (& I'm not saying there's any reason why you wouldn't!), it might be worth considering getting the MBA & portable HDD and just getting a cheapish desktop PC to game on... Could work-out quite a bit cheaper. That, of course, will only be if you need a high-spec machine for your gaming though; otherwise some type of MBP + Windows in Boot Camp will be best.

What kind of games do you plan on playing?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You can make a really decent budget gaming rig for under 700 dollars. I know cause I do it all the time. >_<" I don't spend as much time playing PC games as much as I use to. That will probably change when Guild Wars 2 comes out but I digress. >_>"

The task that you describe sounds pretty much like light computer task. You probably don't need the power of a MBP nor do you need to be a graphic designer to justify getting a MBP. :p The MBP can do everything you described and more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Another thing to consider is that the MBPs are well over-due for a refresh now... Something new must be just over the horizon; whether it be just another simple upgrade of the current design, or - as some are predicting - a complete redesign along the lines of a slightly thicker, larger-screened, more powerful MacBook Air...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I wouldn't say 'well over due'. They're just about due actually. It's that time of year, in about a month actually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
This last summer I built a gaming PC from scratch for a few bucks under $500. It runs WOW and Rift nicely with full effects. I just bought my MBP today. Comparing other systems, I felt it was the better route. I've got a killer school laptop now, and a great gaming PC that was low cost.

I'm gonna second Ctrl-Opt-Del.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro (Late 2011), 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5, 4GB, 500GB. Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2
I don't play hardcore gaming but I do play this virtual world game called vSide and Call Of Duty. That is the only main games I ever play but I'm not much of a gamer type of a guy. I mainly go websurfing, download music, movies, uploading photos and recorded videos. That's pretty much it.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 13" or Macbook Pro 13"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 13" or Macbook Pro 13"?
Ah, well, now... That changes things. If you're dead-set on a 13" screen, you may as well get the entry-level Pro, as it costs less than the basic-configuration 13" Air.

It'll definitely have all the hardware capabilities necessary to run everything you'll need (both Mac apps running under OS X & PC games running under Windows via Boot Camp); and you could always upgrade the RAM yourself after purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It will not give better video... It still uses the Intel card, it is the 15" that adds the ability to have the 2nd video card that does not share system memory. If Gaming is a requirement, top end 15" is where you start. If money is a requirement with gaming, get a Windows machine.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds good!

I'm away for a trip with family so we won't be back in town til Friday, then I'm staying with my parents until Sunday morning, driving back to my dorm then heading to the apple store to purchase my laptop.

Would you guys like a picture once I make the purchase? LOL.

What else should I purchase for the laptop?
I've seen a lot of cases and sleeves.
What would you guys recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It will not give better video... It still uses the Intel card, it is the 15" that adds the ability to have the 2nd video card that does not share system memory. If Gaming is a requirement, top end 15" is where you start. If money is a requirement with gaming, get a Windows machine.
Well, I was assuming from "I don't play hardcore gaming" that Woojun912 would be ok with playing their games at medium graphics settings ;)

But then, you know what they say about assumptions... :p

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm okay with Medium Graphic Settings, I don't understand much about computers and plus this is my first mac laptop so..haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
What else should I purchase for the laptop?
If you don't already have it, go get a backup HD or you'll regret it someday! :D

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will do.
Please feel free people to list all the things you recommend me buying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm okay with Medium Graphic Settings, I don't understand much about computers and plus this is my first mac laptop so..haha.
In that case, you might want to look-up the minimum specs required by the games that you do play (specifically the specs for the processor & graphics), and see how they compare to the specs of the different models of MacBook Pro; then decide on which model to get. Don't worry, it's just a matter of comparing numbers! So long as the processor & graphics on the computer are equal to or greater than the requirements of the games you'll be fine ;)

And McYukon is very right, get some kind of external back-up drive for Time Machine (OS X's built-in back-up utility).

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I compare the specs? This game I play is called vSide.
It's just a virtual world dancing game, nothing too graphical like C.O.D or anything.
I can play COD on my xbox anyways.

Can you possibly teach me how to look at the specs?
And the processor/graphics you were talking about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, if you're gonna play COD on your Xbox then vSide will easily run on any MacBook you bought (Air or Pro); I checked the specs online for you.

So, like I said, if you want a 13" screen then go for the basic Pro model, as it's cheaper than the basic 13" Air. If you don't mind a smaller screen, the cheapest-option basic 11" Air would do for all you want it for...

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you personally think I should get the solid state drive or upgrade the 500 to 750? Or the baseline is just fine for me? And thank you so much, for looking up all the specs for me. :) I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And thank you so much, for looking up all the specs for me. :) I appreciate it.
That's quite alright :) it's what this community is here for.

Do you personally think I should get the solid state drive or upgrade the 500 to 750? Or the baseline is just fine for me?
Depends how fast you want apps to launch. The basic 500GB drive is fairly quick. Should launch even the heaviest apps within about 5-7 seconds. With the 750GB drive, though bigger, it's also slower, so accessing heavy apps & large files will be slower. With an SSD even the heaviest apps launch almost instantly, and files can be moved about on the drive in mere seconds; however, bear in mind that - unless you're willing to almost double the price of the computer - the basic SSD is ~1/4 the size of the basic 500GB hard disk.

So, it's up to you, dependant on how much speed you want. I - personally - wouldn't go for the 750GB hard disk, as you take too much of a performance hit for only 50% extra internal storage. I'd say either stick with the 500GB drive, or get the 128GB SSD; and, either way, buy yourself a nice portable hard drive (1TB drives are reasonably cheap these days; and even just a 320GB external drive + the 500GB internal drive will give you more extra storage than the 750GB upgrade, but without the performance hit).

In short, you have options! Hope this helps :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.