iphone 4 won't play youtube/videos

Reaction score
Every time I try to either play a video through the standard video app or watch something on youtube it always say I'm connected wirelessly to a TV:Grimmace:.
"TV Connected
This video is playing on the TV.":Angry-Tongue:

I have never connected it to a TV, and for that matter didn't know it was possible. How do I turn this off so I can watch videos?!:Shouting::Shouting::Shouting:

iphone 4, 5.0.1 (9A405), AT&T 11.0, Model MC318LL

C

chas_m

You have pressed the Airplay button on the YouTube app (a little white pyramid/triangle sort of button). Press it again to turn it off and it will probably stop thinking that. :)

(I haven't tried, but you may also be able to disable Airplay in the preferences.)

OP
A
Reaction score
No such icon unfortunately

The icon seems to be integrated into iPhone 4s and not 4. I'd love to disable AirPlay, but after searching through the menus multiple times I can't find any way to disable it. I've included a screenshot of the standard video app to show the lack of the triangle AirPlay button. How did this happen and what can I do?

photo.PNG

C

chas_m

Thanks for that. AirPlay is a function of the OS. I don't think it has a on/off switch per se.

Try turning off Bluetooth and see if that makes a difference. Try switching the iPhone to "Airplane mode" and see if that makes a difference.

Also, I should have asked this earlier, but: do you have ANY devices in your house that are AirPlay-compatible? Do you have the same problem trying to watch the podcast when you're not at home?

OP
A
Reaction score
Airplane mode == TV mode

Unfortunately disabling bluetooth and even going into airplane mode doesn't prevent it from "connecting" to a tv. I'm starting to think I need to wipe it and reinstall the iOS, but then I'm worried that installing my content again will reactivate the problem. Argh.

C

chas_m

Before you go that far, try simply resetting the iPhone. (a full powering-down and then back up again). I'm always shocked at how few people even know to ever do this, not saying you haven't already tried it.

The fact that even Airplane Mode doesn't solve the problem does suggest to me that if the reset doesn't work your next step is indeed to wipe and reinstall from a backup.

OP
A
Reaction score
reset worked

Well, it worked. I have no idea why it got that way in the first place, but just goes to show it's always a good option. Too bad pushing two buttons at the same time doesn't have the same karnal satisfaction as yanking a fat plug from the wall and hearing the fan die.

Thanks for your help, sorry I didn't try this earlier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.