iPad2 and security

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Should I use my iPad2 for Internet banking? Is it safe? There is no virus scanner.

You may tell, I'm a Windows user(!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
All I can tell you, is that I use mine for internet banking, and have never had any problems.

If you're using a secure website then there will be a little padlock on the tab you're using.

(From one Cornish fellow to another! ;))

C

chas_m

To date, iOS has had exactly NO malware issues.

Meanwhile:

Android malware up 472% since July, unlikely to slow down | Electronista

McAfee: Android malware surges 76%, iPhone untouched | Electronista

However, please note that this is all about how safe the OSes are from malware, and says NOTHING about the quality of the wireless connection you're using.

Bank websites are encrypted, as was previously pointed out, but when using an unsecured or public wireless network there is SOME risk that personal information could be intercepted by someone nearby. The risk is fabulously low, but it exists (PARTICULARLY, I've noticed, at airports!).

Thus, as a rule of thumb, I don't do any banking or credit-cards stuff when using a public or unsecured network. My own home network uses WPA2 and between that and the bank's encrypted connection I'm satisfied that this is sufficient in my situation for banking/financial stuff.

OP
Perranoak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Cheers both. Yes, Cornwall is magic but BB speed isn't!

Funny you should say that chas_m. I've noticed that my router is set for WPA/WPA2. I guess this is for backwards compatibility? My laptop uses WPA2. How can I tell what my iPad uses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
To date, iOS has had exactly NO malware issues.

Meanwhile:

Android malware up 472% since July, unlikely to slow down | Electronista

McAfee: Android malware surges 76%, iPhone untouched | Electronista

However, please note that this is all about how safe the OSes are from malware, and says NOTHING about the quality of the wireless connection you're using.

Bank websites are encrypted, as was previously pointed out, but when using an unsecured or public wireless network there is SOME risk that personal information could be intercepted by someone nearby. The risk is fabulously low, but it exists (PARTICULARLY, I've noticed, at airports!).

Thus, as a rule of thumb, I don't do any banking or credit-cards stuff when using a public or unsecured network. My own home network uses WPA2 and between that and the bank's encrypted connection I'm satisfied that this is sufficient in my situation for banking/financial stuff.

Timely and the technical answer I was looking for.

Thanks

Tom

C

chas_m

Assuming it's on a secured network, the iPad supports WPA and WPA2. I believe it does NOT support WEP anymore (I think the original iPad did).

OP
Perranoak
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad2, iPhone5
Thanks.
My router is set to WPA/WPA2 so would the iPad default to WPA2 not WPA?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
If you are worried about security use a vpn just for banking.This is a good one you get 2 hours free a month and it encrypts all of your data. App Store - Cloak

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.