Which channel?

Reaction score
I have an Airport Extreme and am streaming music from my iMac to my home hifi using the remote app on my iPhone 4 and an Airport Express connected to the hifi.
I have set up the Extreme and have both a 5ghz and 2.4ghz network set up.
The music streaming cuts out randomly, but also whilst my wife is using her new iPad to watch internet video.
How do I know which frequency the music streaming is using?
Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
I would also like to know the answer to this. I had thought that with newer computers use 5ghz and the older ones use 2.4ghz. Kind of having device that caters for the majority of users...

I have been trying to set up my Express for 3 weeks now without success. I have been through all the guts of the set up and have noticed that in one set up op, it asks you for the ID of the devices. for example, the ID of my time Machine (as the base station) which has two, one ID for 5ghz and one for 2.4. The express has only one ID so I would imagine it would then be automatic depending on what device it is linking with..

Interesting post which I will watch with interest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
This seems to be cross-posted and I've replied to that one too but this post seems to have more info so I'll add to this too. Perhaps the mods can merge the threads.

Neilf
The Extreme is putting out two networks a 5ghz network and a 2.4ghz network.

To ensure you're getting the best possible 5ghz connection around your network you need to:

1. Ensure you're connected to the 5Ghz network on your iMac.
2. use iStumbler on your iMac to check for nearby networks using the same channel as you
3. If you find a clash, use the Airport Utility to change your 5ghz configuration on the Extreme to use an alternative channel away from interferance
4. Use Airpoty Utility to configure the Express to connect only to the 5ghz network.
5. Retry the streaming.

post back with the results.

j0nb0y32
What sort of problems are you having.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
OP
N
Reaction score
Update,
I have managed to force my iMac to pick up only the 5ghz network. I did this by changing the 2.4ghz password to something that was incorrect, thus forcing the iMac never to connect to the 2.4 side. It seems a bit naff, but so far it works. The Express picks up the 5ghz fine.
One thing I don't understand is that I have read that the 5ghz side should be on a high numbered channel, and when set to auto it sets the 5 at channel 100 And the 2.4 to channel 6. Works so far, but if I need at some point to change the 2.4 channel, it will only allow me to choose a channel for the 5ghz side up to something in the 40's if I remember correctly.
Sorry for the long post.
Neil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Update,
I have managed to force my iMac to pick up only the 5ghz network. I did this by changing the 2.4ghz password to something that was incorrect, thus forcing the iMac never to connect to the 2.4 side. It seems a bit naff, but so far it works. The Express picks up the 5ghz fine.
One thing I don't understand is that I have read that the 5ghz side should be on a high numbered channel, and when set to auto it sets the 5 at channel 100 And the 2.4 to channel 6. Works so far, but if I need at some point to change the 2.4 channel, it will only allow me to choose a channel for the 5ghz side up to something in the 40's if I remember correctly.
Sorry for the long post.
Neil

You could have just removed the 2.4 network in network preferences but the results the same.

Sorry but I don't realy understand what you're getting at in the last part of your post. If you need to change the 2.4 channel - just change it. It won't have any impact on the 5ghz network.

OP
N
Reaction score
Sorry for being vague. What I tried to say is if I need to change (due to interference) the 2.4 channel, the system only allows for 1 of 3 5ghz fixed channel selections with the highest channel being something in the 40's, so not able to use channel 100. Hope this makes sense.
I didn't remove the 2.4ghz side, as there is an older Windows laptop on the network.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.