• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Two questions relating to iMovie and Final Cut Studio Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2009 4GbRAM Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHZ NVidia GF9400M 256MB OS Snow Leopard
Hi, I have been trying to record my gameplay of Skyrim and I used Quicktime 7 to record the screen. So it is saved as a .mov file format and it is viewable by Quicktime 7 no problem.

Now my question relating to iMovie: When i do the project in iMovie with the .mov file from Quicktime, it always strips out the top inch and bottom inch of the screen. I did not change any setting to ma ke it widescreen so why does it do that? Also, whenever I render the project to be shared to Youtube, the quality degrades quite a lot even though I chose the HD setting? So much so that small print on the screen that is viewable on Quicktime in the original recorded file cannot be seen now. What was wrong with it? Was it because when i import the file into iMovie, i chose the Full quality and not the Large quality?

My question relating to Final Cut Studio: Since the quality from iMovie was not satisfactory, I tried usign Final Cut Studio Pro to edit but for some reason it cannot accept the .mov file format. It keeps giving me error message saying it does nto recognize the file format. Why is that even though the mov file format is perfectly usable and captured using Quicktime 7? Must I convert that file format to something, AVI perhaps or MP4? I used Final Cut Studio before to edit my movies from my iPhone and it works great, I do not understand therefore why it cannot accept move files from Quicktime 7.

So, if anyone has any advice please, I am open to receiving them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
Okay so I can't answer everything here but the cropping of the top and bottom is most likely because you have initial video placement set to crop.

To fix that go:

File> Project Proporties

Then under the "Timing" tab change "initial video placement" to "fit to frame".

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2009 4GbRAM Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHZ NVidia GF9400M 256MB OS Snow Leopard
Hey thanks for that. I will test it out later in the day after work to see if changing the fit to frame works. But I still need to figure out why the video quality degrades enough that small print in the original video becomes unreadable after rendering even when i chose the export option in HD setting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor 4 GB of memory 300 GB HD imac, 8GB Ipod Touch 4th generation
What version of imovie are you using?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.