Weird problem in Safari

Reaction score
-- MacBook Pro 2.54 Core Duo 4GB 10.7.2 --

Having this very strange problem occurring exclusively in Safari.

While using Safari at least once a day sometimes more, the left mouse button becomes inoperative and it begins selecting the screen text with a green highlighting.

The dock also disappears along with any functionality and I am forced to use the right click function to select restart.

It restarts normally with no indication of a problem until it happens again, usually hours or the next day.

I suspect either the Mobee magic mouse battery or related symptom or could Safari somehow be corrupt?

Anyone have any ideas or seen this problem before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Replace the battery,
and,
Startup in the Lion recovery partition (use option key to get startup choices) and use Disk Utility to repair the hard drive.

Haven't seen that before.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I thought it was just Safari, so I installed Camino and a few hours later the same thing happened.

Looks like this:

431242dd.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
It looks to me like you have some piece of software install that is causing this. Check in the top bar and make sure there is nothing running that is not installed by apple.

Another thing it could be is a virus of some sort, I really don't think it is this, but does not hurt to scan. If you go into the mac app store download ClamXav, and try running a scan. Let me know what you find.

OP
D
Reaction score
It looks to me like you have some piece of software install that is causing this. Check in the top bar and make sure there is nothing running that is not installed by apple.

Another thing it could be is a virus of some sort, I really don't think it is this, but does not hurt to scan. If you go into the mac app store download ClamXav, and try running a scan. Let me know what you find.

Only thing up there is smcFanControl and iAntivirus, but both have been there long before the problem developed.

I was thinking the Mobee battery pack was causing it so I switched back to traditional batteries and it still happens.

Wondering if it is the Magic Mouse itself? I'll try my old USB plugin and see if it persists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really don't think that is the issue, but it does not hurt to try. You can also look in your system preferences to see if there is any add-on software that would effect the function of the mouse. Typically they would be in the bottom section titled Other.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Another thing it could be is a virus of some sort, I really don't think it is this, but does not hurt to scan.

Yeah, I don't think so either, because there isn't a single virus that affects the Mac OS. I also don't think it's some other class of malware, if that's what you mean. But, while it might not hurt to scan, antivirus software can be a resource hog and cause problems for you. I don't have any installed, and many long time Mac users will tell you the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I don't think so either, because there isn't a single virus that affects the Mac OS.

This used to be the case, not any more. Since about early in 2010 there have been a few big virus. Started off with people illegally downloading software. Since then it has grown very slightly. Apple has been releasing small updates to patch the OS before it is infected, but the known ones that I have heard of require you to type your password.

Mac OS X has always had some pretty large security holes that are open for features built-in to the OS. Over the years, they are getting smaller and in some cases moving from one port number to another. They have been virus free for so long because the number of mac users was much lower than windows users, now they are catching up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Do you have another mouse you can try to rule that out.
If there is a virus for the Mac I would appreciate a link to it I could use some extra money for new toys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This used to be the case, not any more. Since about early in 2010 there have been a few big virus.

Not true. There is not a single Mac OS virus to this day. As suggested above, you'll have to provide the name of the supposed virus, and links to news stories about it at least, to gain any traction on this site. Others have tried and failed, because there isn't one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
No virus for macs but malware. Try restoring the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I have just gone back and looked at the few I know of and they are actually malware and not viruses. But really in my mind, I think of all of them (viruses, malware, spyware, trojan, etc) as the same (harmful software on your computer).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Viruses corrupt and destroy files, malware is just a bad program that can be deleted, spyware well it spy's on you and try's to get your info, Trojans download other things onto your machine that can do harm. If you are worried download Sophos for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I have just gone back and looked at the few I know of and they are actually malware and not viruses. But really in my mind, I think of all of them (viruses, malware, spyware, trojan, etc) as the same (harmful software on your computer).

Yes, I think lots of people consider those to be synonyms. Technically speaking, they aren't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.