beginning a website

M

melissa555

I am a new mac user and I want to build a website that will need to access a database. Can anyone tell me where the best place to begin is...what program exactly and how to start. I am familiar with how to do this with Windows but I'm not sure with my mac. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
You're going to have to give us a bit more information. What sort of database? Are you going to do it in HTML or do you need a WYSIWYG editor?

OP
L

lil

Also how exactly you are used to doing this on Windows would be a help, such as is it with ASP and Access?

Of course I'll still say at this point - PHP and MySQL.

:flower:

Vicky

OP
M

melissa555

replay

Thanks,
I am used to just using HTML on windows and php and i am fairly familiar with mysql. I'd like to do something similar to that with mac. I am going to just need a database like mysql or access to use with the webpage. i'm not even sure what program to use on my mac...like maybe webobjects but i can't find any good information about what that even does. let m e know if u need any other informatio

OP
S

steveedge

Where is the webserver you are using ? Do you have a hosting account somewhere? a dedicated server ? or are you hosting the website on your machine ? Installing PHP, Apache, etc, on your machine won't do alot of good if the DB needs to be installed elsewhere.

OP
N

nateklaiber

I would say the same as JackTheRipper - but also steveedge has a point. If you are doing this on a specific server (that you are not the administrator of) then you should check and make sure everything will be compatible.

I would sway WAY against access - it just sucks overall for the web with simultaneous users. MySQL, PostgreSQL, or some other database would be a better choice that way.

What all are you looking to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
OP
G

gavinmacrae1

simplest way buddy.. find a host that supports mysql + php (www.blacksun.ca) and hire a coder for peanuts at www.rentacoder.com.

explain what you want, and it will be done exactly as you ask.. if you run into problems writing your first database that is :p

if the database isnt too large, think of a flat text database.. it's a lot eaiser to setup and configure :)

best of luck
gavin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.