playing 720p

Reaction score
Hi, i have a 2011 macbook pro 15" 2.0ghz one. how can a computer that cost so much not be able to play 720p without a lagging every 15 seconds. i've checked everything on my mac theres over 2gb of ram free and plenty of hard disk space. i have tried with multiple 720p videos and they all have frame skips and work perfectly on my home pc. anything else i can try to improve videos on my mac?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What is the source of the videos? Are you streaming them from a website, or are they locally stored videos? What program are you using to watch them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I have no issues on a much lower spec Mac, so please give us some more details as requested.

C

chas_m

I have a 2007 MacBook that doesn't even have a real video card and I can play 720p videos both on my main screen and on my second screen without problems. Something else going on there.

Would these be mkv or wmv videos by any chance?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.