To quickly delete, rather than Trash

Reaction score
Hi MacXperts.

I have learned that you can run Terminal, type in 'rm', and drag and drop what ever you want to permanently delete, into Terminal.

But, is this the only way you can do this?
Seem to be a cumbersome process?

In Windows, you can quickly and permanently delete (by pressing Shift+Delete).

I'm not comparing Windows to Mac and I'm not expecting all the same functionalities. I just thought there would be a method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What exactly are you trying to achieve ?
The trash is a safety net for people who " accidently " delete stuff.

I can understand that if you want to delete a huge folder ( several gigabyte ) and then empty the trash, it can take a while -_-.

I don't know your level of Unix skills and how comfortable you are with using terminal, but have a look around here and read up on the horror stories from people using terminal and destroying their system.

On the other hand, there are very experienced terminal users here who might even use terminal more than the graphical interface, so wait a while and allow one of them to chime in and provide some terminal advice ... or other tips.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
Rik.
Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to achieve ?
The trash is a safety net for people who " accidently " delete stuff.
Hi McBie.
Let's say that I carried out a 'print-screen' and have then used the image for what ever purpose. I now just want to delete that screen capture image.
I don't need any 'safety nets'. I just want to delete it.

In Windows, when you press 'Shift+Delete' you do get a message asking yes/no. So if you're looking for safety nets, it is there. If you know what I mean?

I don't know your level of Unix skills and how comfortable you are with using terminal...
20 years on PCs.
2 months on Mac - But that doesn't mean I don't understand the dangers.
I also don't have any fears that I might completely trash the whole system.
I am perfectly capable re-installing everything. That's how I built my knowledge of PCs.

...the horror stories from people using terminal and destroying their system.
I'm not scared or ashamed of creating a few stories of my own!
Yes! I did accidentally format my hard drive! Many decades ago, though.

C

chas_m

I don't know about you, but if I right-click or control-click on a file or folder, the second option down is "move to trash." That seems to me to be even easier than the Windows method.

OP
Rik.
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but if I right-click or control-click on a file or folder, the second option down is "move to trash." That seems to me to be even easier than the Windows method.
Hi chas.

How is that easier than Windows?
If I delete something in Windows, it asks "Are you sure you want to move this file to the Recycle Bin?"
That's the same as Mac's 'Move to Trash'

What Windows offers, is to be able to press 'Shift' at the same time as delete, this then gives you the option to permanently delete the file.

If fact, that's the question I am asking.

I don't want to 'Move to Trash'.
I just want to DELETE the file.

Because the other problem we have, is that you cannot now delete an individual file from Trash.
You can in Windows.

Please understand that I am not trying to compare Windows to Mac.
I purchased a MacBook out of choice.

So, to learn Mac, I am asking questions.

But, please don't think that the Mac way is the best and the only way.

EDIT: By the way chas, your "My essay for switchers and newbies" is brilliant. Thanks for putting that together, when ever you did it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
There is also this app I ran into, looks interesting, but I do the bulk of my file management at the command line (then again, I work in a Unix environment so I'm extremely comfortable at the command line, more so than the GUI to be honest).

Mac App Store - AdvDelete

Reaction score
undelete secure erase

Is it possible to recover a file that I have deleted by mistake using the secure erase function? I was experimenting with the erase facility and selected a file I actually need by mistake. It is probably obvious that I am not very mac savvy and I usually use a PC but was borrowing my childs macbook to do some work

Hi MacXperts.

I have learned that you can run Terminal, type in 'rm', and drag and drop what ever you want to permanently delete, into Terminal.

But, is this the only way you can do this?
Seem to be a cumbersome process?

In Windows, you can quickly and permanently delete (by pressing Shift+Delete).

I'm not comparing Windows to Mac and I'm not expecting all the same functionalities. I just thought there would be a method.

OP
Rik.
Reaction score
Is it possible to recover a file that I have deleted by mistake using the secure erase function? I was experimenting with the erase facility and selected a file I actually need by mistake. It is probably obvious that I am not very mac savvy and I usually use a PC but was borrowing my childs macbook to do some work
I've not had to do what you want, yet!

I'm sure the Xperts will come and help you very soon.

But, a quick search on the net came up with this.

Undelete Mac Files Software ? FREE Download Undelete Files Mac

No idea whether this will do the job for you.

Found another one!

http://www.macundelete.com/
MacUndelete is not free.

C

chas_m

Rik.:

I didn't understand the full nature of the question. You want a command that both moves the file to the trash AND empties the trash.

I don't know of one, but that's not to say it doesn't exist. The Mac is set up to be very user-friendly, and immediate unrecoverable deletion isn't something that's wired into the DNA so I doubt there is any BUILT-IN system for doing what you want (apart from perhaps some automator action or something like that).

But I would bet there's a third-party way of doing what you want. Though the OS is designed to be user-friendly, it's also based on UNIX, meaning ANYTHING a user might want to do is possible with sufficient know-how.

OP
Rik.
Reaction score
Rik.:

I didn't understand the full nature of the question. You want a command that both moves the file to the trash AND empties the trash.
Hi chas.

Yes. I want to quickly delete an unwanted file.
In Windows, I can click to select a file/picture and then just press Shift+Delete and rather than the system moving this file/picture to the Recycle Bin, it deletes it.

I work with a lot of images. Simple and complex images that I have made and then saved. Once I have used these images, I then just want to delete them.

Why do I want to permanently delete these images?
Well, quite often, I make different versions and see which looks best. Once I have done that, I now want to delete all of these versions. They are simply not needed any more.

I have no problem with permanently deleting these saved images because the programme I used to create these images, still has the created drawing.

Now, if the Mac 'Trash' allowed you to delete individual items, then I wouldn't even be asking the question.

I don't always want to empty the Trash completely.

This is nothing to do with what you would do or what someone else would do.
It's about allowing the user to do what the user wants.
That's what good software should do. Allow flexibility and win more users.

This is not a criticism and no defence of the Mac world is necessary.

I am asking about functionality and it seems that it can't be done on a Mac?!

OP
Rik.
Reaction score
OK.

I have found a method to delete an individual item from Trash.

I will document the process and post it here, in a while.

Obviously it's not my original idea. I just found it on the net.

But, at least it works and whilst I cannot simply delete (as I wanted), I can at least now delete one item from Trash.

EDIT: Even better news. The method will permanently delete a file from anywhere. You don't have to move it to trash first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
I don't understand the logic behind deleting individual items from the trash. If you don't want to delete it, don't put it in the trash. Maybe these are the kinds of folk who put food in the bin, and then rummage around when they fancy a snack? ;)

Pleased you've found a solution.

OP
Rik.
Reaction score
I don't understand the logic behind deleting individual items from the trash. If you don't want to delete it, don't put it in the trash. Maybe these are the kinds of folk who put food in the bin, and then rummage around when they fancy a snack? ;)

Pleased you've found a solution.
I'm not sure any logic is needed!

I've read that many people delete things to then go to the Trash some time later and then decide that they really don't need the trashed item any more.

I've also explained that I work with many images and there are times even I will simply move the item to the Recycle Bin (Trash), to then decide later that I really want to delete it now.
Most of the time, I simply want to delete the file. Not move it to Trash.

How you work is not necessarily how everyone else works.

Also, why would you want to compare a deleted file to food? ;D

Please stop asking why anyone would want to do this.
Clearly people do because I was able to find this in the Apple Support Forum.

Anyway, for anyone who is interested, you can add a command to your Right-Click menu to permanently delete a file.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Careful: When you choose this option, then you don't get a 'Yes/No' option. The file will simply be deleted.
So, choose this, if like me, you really want to delete and not just move to Trash.

If you want to play it safe, then move things to Trash, and then this command also allows you to delete individual files from Trash.
In fact, you can multiple delete as well.

I have attached a document with instructions and an image to help with the process.

View attachment Delete Permanently.pdf

Delete Permanently.png

Reaction score
Great tutorial!
And even better, your patience in explaining such an evident option... :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.