Reformatting

Reaction score
I think I have a slightly different problem. I have recently bought an iMac and wanted to reformat my 1.5GB external hard drive on my mac...

When I first plugged in my hard drive, ready to format it, it asked if I wanted to turn it into a Time Machine Backup, it warned that it would erase all data as this is not the correct blah blah blah... which would be fine as I was prepared to format anyway. The problem is, now I can't turn it back into a normal storage hard drive.

I would try and format it again, split it into 2 drives perhaps but all that comes up on finder is the time machine and there is no option to format it. I know where to find 'format' usually but it's not there. My time machine has 1.49 TB available space but I can't really store my tunes on the time machine for normal plug and play on other computers can I?

I might be missing something obvious here, new mac user

C

chas_m

You're saying that there is no "erase" tab in disk utility? That would be unusual. Screen shot?

OP
Q
Reaction score
sorry, no, I've got it now. I'm being dumb. Thank you for the reply all the same

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.